Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1516490  by Backshophoss

CP Spring(was Amtrak/NH Spring tower) controls the access to Springfield Union Station from the Hartford line(Amtrak) and the
diamonds on the CSX(NYC/B&A) mainlines to the Pan Am/MassDOT(B&M) Conn River ML to Greenfield.
 #1516657  by JcPinCT

daybeers wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 am Gotcha. Why would that affect track usage in Meriden and Berlin though?
It doesn't. There is separate track work being performed this weekend immediately south of the Berlin station to add back the switch that connects the south leg of the Pan Am wye to the main.
 #1517785  by Traingeek3629

Any timeline for the Hartford station/viaduct replacement project? I know it times with the 84 project which won't be completed until at least 2040, but doesn't the viaduct come before the 84 project?

Furthermore, are there any design plans for the station?
 #1517872  by JcPinCT

Traingeek3629 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:25 am Any timeline for the Hartford station/viaduct replacement project? I know it times with the 84 project which won't be completed until at least 2040, but doesn't the viaduct come before the 84 project?
I spoke to one of the CTDOT engineers during a public I84 meeting and he said if a below grade option (the current favored option) is selected as a design, moving the existing rail track and adding a second track would happen in the beginning of the construction phase in order to make room for the new road and allow commuters to use the Hartford Line during I84 rebuild.

As far as timing, the best option is to sign up for updates at the I84 project website (http://www.i84hartford.com/) and monitor the local Hartford news. As the I84 project schedule stands now, we're looking at 2030 as the earliest date for the new rail alignment.
Traingeek3629 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:25 am Furthermore, are there any design plans for the station?
The March 2018 station options are the latest that I've seen.
https://www.courant.com/real-estate/pro ... story.html

"The options locate the train station just to the west of the new highway, which would be lowered in the reconstruction. But the options differ on the placement of a combined bus station and parking garage. One places it just to the west of the lowered highway, while the other locates it above the highway."
 #1517878  by Backshophoss

The debates over the design and timeline continue to hold back the start of construction,as this will tear thru the heart of this city.
It seems to get close to a design pick,then backs away due to NIMBY reaction in the area
I 84 is a oversized scar in Hartford,that refuses to heal.
 #1518258  by nomis

Mod Note: I am doing some housekeeping within this thread. I have split apart the original (before launch of service), and will make individual station threads to track the new infill stations, as well as an Hartford station (I-84 rebuild) relocation thread eventually.

There is a now sticky at the top of the forum for a list of current threads.
 #1518490  by daybeers

Thanks for that, nomis!

I saw on another thread that Amtrak provides through ticketing for some services, such as NJ Transit's Atlantic City Line. See the attached screenshot.

Can Amtrak do this with the Hartford Line? Should be even easier as they own the line and run their own trains on it at the same prices, except for the slight difference in child fares (CTrail child fares are $1 but Amtrak is half off the adult fare).
Attachments:
ac-thruway.PNG
ac-thruway.PNG (129.9 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
 #1518751  by nomis

The through ticketing on the ACL is a vestige of Amtrak service to Atlantic City. Amtrak rehabbed the line, and re-started passenger service solely under their name, then NJT had concurrent with Amtrak, then NJT took over all operations when Amtrak decided to dump the line.
 #1519574  by gregorygrice

hs3730 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:22 pm Yesterday the Hartford Line had a Shore Line East set make one round trip between New Haven and Hartford, I was lucky enough to ride and get a video of it:
Mafersa at Berlin

Is this a common occurrence?
Yes. All CDOT equipment (Mafersa and MBB sets) are pooled and can run on either line.
 #1519607  by hs3730

gregorygrice wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:40 pm Yes. All CDOT equipment (Mafersa and MBB sets) are pooled and can run on either line.
Thanks. I feel sorry for SLE folk who get stuck with an MBB set... they are in desperate need of seat replacement, swapping them out for M2 seats would have been an improvement...