Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1041203  by excitebike

This is the feasibility study for replacing the Atlantic St bridge in Stamford:
http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 04-01c.pdf
It has some neat construction staging track diagrams.

Interestingly, the plan has a provision for extending track 7 from the east to Stamford station. I presume this would be for something similar to the situation at South Norwalk, with a stub track 7 for New Canaan shuttles? Otherwise, for a full through track 7 with platform, you'd have to basically demolish Stamford station!

(Other Stamford bridge replacement studies are to be found here: http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=2303&q=480614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
 #1041345  by RearOfSignal

Extending track 7 would be useless without reconstructing CP233 and CP 232 since neither are universal interlockings. Currently a train would have to run against the normal current of traffic to access track 7 without a reverse move.
 #1042213  by Jeff Smith

Correct me if I'm wrong; I took a look at a track map; Atlantic Street is on the East side of Stamford Station, so CP 232 and 233 woudn't come into play since they're on the west side of the Station. While there is a track 7 on the west side that stubs up against the outer Track 5 platform, I think they're talking about the track 7 on the east side that leads to the employee stop (and maybe where inbound locals are staged).

Still, I'm really not sure what the benefit is, the track merges back into track 5, and has another crossover to track 3. Track 7 would invariably merge into track 5 anyway.
 #1042277  by The EGE

I assume the intent is to get the New Canaan shuttle off track 5 when it's just sitting in the platform. Gives you 10 to 15 minutes more once an hour midday that track 5 is free for through trains.
 #1042790  by Clean Cab

You'd have to move part of Stamford Station to make track 7 a through track, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about this ever happening.

I'd much rather see the track 4 platform extended west and make it a 12 car legnth like track 3 &2 currently are. I'll never undrestand why the track 4 platform was cut off at only 9 car legnths. Poor planning I guess.
 #1042818  by Ridgefielder

Perhaps they just figured that if they're going to rebuild the bridge anyway, they may as well build it with the room for an extra track even there's no plan to install it right now-- that way if at some point in the future they want to build a pocket track for the dink, or extend it all the way through the station, they won't have to start from scratch. Similar to the newer structures at Milford that have room for four tracks even though it's only 3 through that area (or the Conn River bridge, for that matter, whose piers were built ca. 1907 with room for never-installed 3rd and 4th tracks).
 #1043108  by amm in ny

I don't see anyone in this thread proposing making a through track 7 at Stamford.

I did get the impression that some people thought a stub-end track 7 on the east end of the station might make sense, if only as a place for the New Canaan shuttle.

Since IIRC the shuttle is never more than about 1 or 2 cars, it wouldn't need to have a full 10- or 12-car platform. Also IIRC, the east end of the track 5 platform doesn't have direct pedestrian access to State Street (people have to walk west to get off), so putting a track on the north side wouldn't be a huge additional inconvenience. I don't know if there's enough space, though.

I can't speak to whether the current interlocking layout east of the station would make such use feasable.
 #1043120  by DutchRailnut

The shuttle has not been less than 4 cars for years now, and just about all at some point run straight to/from GCT.
 #1424238  by Ridgefielder

I'm struggling to figure out the platform. The Atlantic Street overpass is a good 350 feet east of the easternmost end of the Stamford platforms. Anybody de-training there is going to have a loooong walk to the station building or any sort of connecting service.
 #1506595  by dha10001

I didn't know until this morning that the Atlantic Street bridge replacement project just east of Stamford station will also include the addition of a new track and platform, Track 7, on the north side of the tracks, that is meant to serve branch line trains. Apparently the platform will have 4 stairwells connecting to S State Street, and the platform will extend over Atlantic street. Presumably it will connect to the side platform of Track 5 and the under-construction pedestrian bridge there for transfers. The bridge reconstruction looks to be completed this summer. I read that this project would enable, at least in part, extending Danbury shuttles to Stamford instead of SoNo. If true, that'll be a significant boost for the branch line. Anyone know if it will be a stub end, or tie in to track 5 on the west end?

http://atlanticstreetbridge.com/2018/12 ... l-track-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1506763  by Jeff Smith

For the life of me I couldn't find any diagrams or maps on the web-site. I do imagine the new platform will be to the west of Atlantic St., as it would seem to be necessary to maintain easy access from the track 5 area for transfers, and that more time will have to built into the schedule for transfers due to the longer walk. I also wonder if SLE will utilize the platform?
 #1511669  by Jeff Smith

https://dailyvoice.com/connecticut/stam ... rd/770340/

Plus, New Canaan Bustitution.
The MTA Metro-North Railroad issued an alert stating that on Saturday, June 22, and Sunday, June 23, CTDOT crews will begin work to replace the bridge in the east end of the station.

The prep work will reduce the number of main-line tracks available in Stamford from five to two. it will also constrain the railroad’s ability to move trains into and out of Stamford Yard, one of the two major train-servicing facilities on the New Haven Line.

According to the MTA, as a result of the project, Metro-North will be making minor weekend schedule adjustments to the New Haven Line, and substitute busing will be in effect on the New Canaan Branch.

Over the weekend, local trains departing from Stamford will arrive at Grand Central Terminal five minutes later than usual from the New Haven line. Local trains to Stamford will leave Grand Central five minutes earlier and operate five minutes earlier at all stations through to Stamford to “alleviate construction-related congestion.”
 #1513636  by twropr

During the track outages between June 23 and July 8 while the Atlantic bridge spans were being replaced, was there two track operation between CP 232 and CP 240 (I don't think CP 234 has crossovers that allow a train to move all the way from TK 4 to TK 3 - pls correct me if I am wrong)? During rush hour when TK 4 was O/S did evening trains operate on TK 3 so that crowded trains would have access to platforms at adjacent stations toward Norwalk (if they could not crossover before 240)?
Does Stamford have loudspeakers for train announcements and train/track status monitors or display boards? Is Stamford the most patronized station between GCT and New Haven?
Thanks!
Andy
 #1513909  by Jenny on a M2

Stamford's definitely the busiest station between GCT and NHV; might even be busier than NHV as well. Platform monitors and loudspeakers abound.

Can't help with your operations questions as I am just a lowly commuter. :wink: