Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1513837  by Jeff Smith

ThirdRail7 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:56 pm Keep an eye on the website. Track work is likely to impact the Carolinian, the Palmetto and the Silver Star in the near future. Other trains between RVR and RMT will likely receive delays.
NewsObserver.com: Amtrak to temporarily cancel several Triangle trains to the Northeast
People wishing to take Amtrak’s Carolinian between the Triangle and the Northeast will find their options limited over the next two months.

Track work by CSX, which owns the rails the Carolinian uses between Selma and points north, will force Amtrak to cancel the trains Monday through Thursday between July 22 and Sept. 19, according to the state Department of Transportation. The Carolinian will operate on its normal schedule on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during those weeks.

The Carolinian will also continue to make its daily runs between Raleigh and Charlotte.
The northbound Silver Star, which makes stops in Cary, Raleigh and Rocky Mount, will leave Miami, Fla., four hours later than normal Sunday through Wednesday from July 21 through Sept. 18. On those days, the train will also make an extra stop in Wilson. The train will leave Miami at the usual time Thursday through Saturday.

Finally, the southbound Palmetto, which runs from New York to Savannah, Georgia, will leave Richmond, Virginia, an hour later than scheduled Monday through Thursday from July 22 through Sept. 19. That will affect the scheduled arrivals and departures in Rocky Mount, Wilson and Selma. The southbound Palmetto will operate normally Friday through Sunday.
 #1514157  by Gilbert B Norman

What's going on with The Eagle?

For the past week, it has been about two hours late at Dallas in both directions. Today, it shows "service disruption".

Any wonder why "I'm tucking it out" in the "Friendly Skies" this Saturday and returning Sunday?
 #1514241  by Gilbert B Norman

In addition to Ron's immediate observation, I wonder how much traffic normally routed Dupo-Thebes-Poplar Bluff has been rerouted away from this "water level" line and on to the secondary line used by The Eagle (and paying "bridge tolls" to TRRA in the process).
 #1514662  by TheOneKEA

I just noticed a tweet from someone who was stuck in the B&P Tunnel west of Baltimore due to a power failure. The tweet was sent an hour ago, coincident with a tweet from Amtrak about heat-related restrictions between BAL and PHL. How often does the PRR catenary fail in high heat?
 #1514677  by west point

Usually it is not a failure but the PRR CAT has no compensation for temperature changes. High heat means the CAT will sag. Normal heat restrictions slow the various types of equipment so the pans will not be as likely to snag the CAT an bring it down. Another problem with PRR type CAT is if a train snags the CAT more than one track might have its CAT pulled down as well as the CAT is all connected together. Now constant tension CAT is built so each track is independent of other track so very less likely to loose CAT on more than one track. As well constant tension is made up in sections usually no more than 1/4 mile in length thereby limiting a snag pulling down a long section which can happen with PRR CAT.
 #1514848  by Gilbert B Norman

This past Sunday, #6(19), Zephyr, and #4(19), Chief, were reported to arrive about 930P and 1230A(22) respectively.

Anyone?

#6 came through "hometown" just as I was alighting BNSF
2025, after taking my "poor man's way from O'Hare" - way late after a "ground hold" at DFW (also found my "poor man's way to DFW on DART $1.50 Senior each way).