Railroad Forums 

• stoneham branch extension into medford?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1511697  by b&m 1566

1008com They updated the server a week or two ago and have been working out the bugs as they pop up. They've completely redesigned the home page as well and have been updating the progress under the News and Announcements. Also this site is under new ownership.
 #1511841  by b&m 1566

I think we all are but it sure would be nice if we could post on them, I guess they prefer pm's if we have a question or issue.
Anyway enough side track talk, back to the extension that never was.
 #1511845  by The EGE

An interesting footnote about the B&M's plans for Stoneham. Melrose Highlands was part of Stoneham until 1853, when Melrose (itself an 1850 split from Malden) annexed it. Usually, railroads renamed stations fairly quickly; however, the B&M the station as "Stoneham" up until the 1887 lease of the B&L. Clearly the B&M was trying to capture Stoneham traffic even after the B&L had a direct branchline!
 #1513552  by B&M 1227

What are the chances that Highland Ave in Winchester is built on the partially graded right of way? It's relatively flat, for the most part dead straight, and appears to closely follow the proposed route along Washington St?
 #1513646  by The EGE

I don't think so - the ROW was much closer to Washington - though the short Stevens Street may have been. Here's my map, which I modified based on l008com's map:
Winchester.JPG
Winchester.JPG (76.39 KiB) Viewed 1949 times