Railroad Forums 

• Cab Car Loco Pairs

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1513635  by sonicdoommario

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know where 1706 and 1809 are? I haven't seen 1809 on any set in a while (currently assigned to the South Side), so either it's in-service with a non-functioning GPS or it's elsewhere. The 1706 (which returned from being rebuilt in Alstom earlier in the year) was involved in a collision with a truck at a crossing gate in West Bridgewater back in April. I haven't seen it in tracking since, and it's still listed as being in service. Did it suffer damage from the collision and they're holding it back for that?
 #1514401  by StefanW

Apparently railroad operations does know (in real time) the complete vehicle ID numbers in every consist, coaches and locomotive. There are RFID tags on everything and RFID readers trackside. (The tags are the grey rectangles attached to the side, slightly higher than the level of the traps / high-level-platforms.) I'm hoping that someday that information will get added to the realtime-data feeds so that app developers like me can show it for tracking.
 #1514420  by diburning

Are you referring to the AEI (Automatic Equipment Identification) tags on the sides of the cars? I wasn't aware that the MBTA had readers throughout their system to track coach movements. I was under the impression that they were used when the cars would be interchanged with carrier railroads when going to contracted car shops for tracing purposes.