Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1512040  by gokeefe

Nothing beyond the BDN article a few weeks ago that mentioned a "round the clock repair effort". Notable that Watco's recent position listings for NDP's yard operations included both Rumford and Old Town.
 #1512050  by backroadrails

Pan Am brought the OCS up to Pittsfield this past week. Video by "Maine Railfan" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR4hCxD501s Video by "Branchline Geep Productions" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JGllRFaIQ I don't have a camera, but I took a tour of the train on Thursday, it was a good little tour, and you were allowed to walk around the train.
 #1512060  by 690

gokeefe wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm I wondered about that one too but wasn't sure if it was truly an outlier.
If I had to guess, whoever built the train accidentally kicked it in whatever track they were using to hold their PORU cars, and instead of digging it out, just put it out for the round trip.
 #1513330  by NHV 669

I noticed an odd move on Friday. I was grabbing lunch at the local Subway, and while looking outside, a truck went by hauling an Eimskip container on a very odd looking trailer/chassis. I'm a good three hours north/west of Portland; any idea what they would be draying all the way up here, if not normal water traffic?

We certainly get our fair distribution of PS, but I've never seen those familiar blue containers wander up here.
 #1513345  by CN9634

Was it on an actually chassis or a flatbed (step deck or goose neck)? Eimskip has been selling off containers here and there, so they end up as storage units, sheds Ect and are usually hauled off by some kind of flatbed. Remember these things only last a few years at sea from the salt they tend to rust right out quickly.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1513355  by gokeefe

Hard to say without knowing more specifically where you were. Agreed with others that you could have been seeing a Waterville-Kingfield move ...
 #1513384  by NHV 669

Sorry, should have specified better. The Subway in question is in Littleton, across the river from the abandoned B&M Berlin branch to the diamond with the MEC in Whitefield in NH. It looked like a gooseneck, but not the kind I'm used to seeing haul heavy equipment around.

CN9634 is probably right, we've got a local leasing company that also deals with shipping containers of various sizes. Will have to take a look down in their lot to see if it ended up there.
 #1513509  by atholrail

#1521209  by gokeefe

Miracles never cease ... Not only is this site going back into service for forest products but its also on Pan Am as opposed to CMQ (as originally proposed for Millinocket).