Railroad Forums 

• Gardner Gawking

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1513302  by jaymac

Reception questions were the key and unifying theme for 0325-0540/07-08-2019, a 0557 addendum offering some resolution.
Boston West and VRS were the early receptions, the first clear PAS at 0350 with "AY-3, back on the pin" and that being followed by garble. At 0355, the 333 WLs were dark, and -- sequentially -- the 334 ELs at Stop, the 1 stagger dark, and the 335s also dark. At 0358, FI-2 advised D-3 that they were stopped at FG, D-3 not heard, but mebbe he put in a signal in response.
The trip up Da Hill was quiet, and the 345s were and would remain dark. Yard 4 had general with racks -- mebbe loads -- on the east, Yard 2 had a long string of gons east and then tented centerbeams and tank and covered hoppers, and the Extension had 1 rack. The solo black tank had left the Extension, but the House and southerly Heywood were unchanged.
The post-offering and straight-shot EB trip featured only some Yard Channel garble at 0424. 0430 was when the 333 WLs were again dark, and further east the 330.8 WBs were both at Clear, but a minute-plus later, the 330 2 WL was at Slow Approach, so the route for 400 had probably just been put in. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0440, dark and stationary NewBlue 5936 was continuing to improve the view at the FI-1/2 parking spot.
Over at North Leominster, 22K with NSs 9269 and 9544 was holding on 2 west of the the Main Street/Rte. 13 UGB, and at 0449, the EB staggers for Derby were both at Approach, a solo covered hopper still sitting on the RVJ stub.
Not only had naught been heard from D-3, but naught had also been heard from AY-4, prompting an even more easterly trip extension to Ayer. where not only was naught seen, but naught was heard, at least for a bit.
Me WB again, AYPO's call-out to D-3 came at 0508, D-3 again unheard by me, and AYPO adding they'd head down to AY, hold for 400, and then head east.
I stopped just west of the Shirley platform, 400 with a total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the 2027 getting east of me at 0513. Even though I was about 1/2 mile away, naught -- again -- was heard from the 40.2, prompting even more questions about being able to receive Dispatcher Channel transmissions. Even further west and at 0516, I heard AY-4's C -- finally -- say to start them back, and at 0519, AY-4 would ask the CSX crew what their plans were, the response unheard.
A now breaking CSX crew did the read-back of their Form D for X25 to Burncoat at 0527, D-3 completely unheard, again leaving me wondering if my scanner had lost the ability to receive 161.16.
There would be occasional garbles and a few clear receptions from Boston West, but what I did was start listening to the scanner on lock with a rubber ducky from inside my home while I was starting the post. Not only had the Dispatcher Channel not been locked out, but at 0557, D-3 contacted 22K, told them they'd wait for 402, that there'd be a cab to assist, the pigs would go 1 to 2 to 3, the racks to San-Vel, and the power back to 2. After Transfer Time, there were a coupla others, including D-3 asking 22K if they were on the move yet. Mebbe it just was a combination of bad topography and bad timing. Hope so.
 #1513369  by neman2

The duplex ( 2 frequency system) that Pan Am uses is hard to monitor with a scanner since it defeats the "delay" feature that holds the radio on the channel for a short time awaiting the response from the other person. The only way to monitor reliably is to set up one scanner on 161.16 the other on 161.52 and don"t monitor anything else.

It could be some outside interference that's making 161.16 unreadable. VHF high seems to be subject to a lot of noise over the past few years. LED lights kill it. Google "LED interference VHF"
 #1513402  by jaymac

neman2-
Tnx.
It's only the last few weeks that problems outside of Zombie Zones seem to have increased. As far as having receivers dedicated to one frequency, that would mean 2 for Channel 1, a third for Channel 2, and mebbe a 4th to scan for PW and Keolis frequencies, so that's not gonna happen w/o the divine intervention of Blessed Saint Power Ball.
I read a couple of variations of the googled USCG cautions and approaches for LED interference, and since -- again -- the problem is relatively recent and I monitor with minimal squelch, adjacent LED interference could be a contributor, but probably not the cause.
We'll hear what happens.
Tnx again!
 #1513485  by jaymac

For 0320-0540/07-10-2019, much -- as was and will be seen -- was on the random side. Even with a loaner scanner, garble and static was the early mode.
At 0350, the 333 WLs were all at Stop, a dark 22K sitting on 1 with NSs 9425 and 7261. Racks? None were visible, even later. At 334, wells extended west on 1, the stagger being at Stop, as was the Controlled Siding WL. The 2 WL, however, was at Approach. At 0359, there was -- in a predictable spot -- D-3 garble involving the #1 and AY, and over at 335, the 335 WLs were at Stop, as was the 1 EL, more MT wells extending west and mebbe onto the Single. The 335 2 EL? Restricting, the east the getting bright and 1070 and 4 flats then getting onto the Controlled Siding at 0403. Dag! Cue Gomer Pyle!
The trip up Da Hill was quiet, and the 345s were and would be for however long dark. If 22K had been rack-less, Gardner was rack-loaded, Yards 4, 2, and 1 having lotsa the critters, none of which produced any interior reflections. There mighta been some general on 4 and/or 2, but the view was obstructed. For a change, the Extension was MT, but there were no changes for the House or southerly Heywood.
On the post-offering and straight-shot EB, there was occasional static, partial clarity coming at 0425 when D-3 rogered whatever somebody had just said and then asking what the final destination was. Mount Wachusett getting in the way of anything immediately additional.
At 0430, a D-3/22K convo started, D-3 asking if -- with their length -- they could pull down to Derby and clear the North Leominster platform, 22K saying they could, and D-3 then saying they'd advance to to Derby. 22K was already on the move and dropped the Medium Clear on the 333 1WL at 0432. 150 +/- positions were east at 0437, the rear 1/4 or so MT wells, some tri- and 5-packs mixed in with the loaded wells.
Further east, the the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 WLs both at Stop, presumably cuz 22K wasn't yet far enough east to set the 2 crossover to 1 for the 400. The GL WLs were dark, but the FG WLs were at Stop, 22K not getting east until 0504.
At 0505, the same time as 22K had completed its pass in review, solo and dark NewBlue 5936 continued on display at the FI-1/2 parking spot. At 0452, D-3 answered whoever was calling, but next, I was transiting a Zombie Zone, so mighta missed further developments. Between 0454 and 0456, D-3 would reach out a number of times to AY-6 with the 7595, but further developments -- again -- mighta been Zombiefied.
By 0457, 22K had cleared the North Leominster platform, the 2 EB Derby stagger already dropped and the 1 at Clear. By 0459, 22K had stopped, the marker a bit east of the curve, and yes, a solo covered hopper still sat on the RVJ stub. Next, D-3 would reach out to Q426/427 with CSXT 3299, asking if they were west and clear of Burncoat and then fulfilling Form D G-302 at 0503, confirming if they were at New Bond, and wishing them a good rest of their day.
0504? "5 more, AY-4," AY-4 probably being an early static source and getting the eventual last words.
400 was on the move on the 0508 advertised, a total of 3 flats and 1 bi plus MassDOT 1056 making noise for 22K and dropping the 1 stagger at 0509. A non-executive decision was made to hold until 400 would been due outta Shirley, but even with only minimal Yard Channel activity, naught -- again -- was heard outta the 40.2.
At 0521, there was a garbled reception, "PO" being the sole clarity, but in another few and Mount Wachusett again a factor, D-3 breakingly repeated hazmat positions, asking if the marker was armed and dangerous and giving the OK up to AY, so probably AYPO was getting ready to be EB.
For the balance there would be only garble until 0539 clarity and "AY-4, 40."
 #1513666  by jaymac

For 0325-0545/07-12-2019, there was actual PAS activity observed, Boston West and CSX -- a breaking discussion to, from, or about Q427 -- giving early proof that the radio was effective. At 0348 came a clear "AY-3." silence, and then Yard Channel garble. To save suspense, naught would be heard clearly identifiable involving AY-4 for the trip.
0357 was when the 333 WLs were dark, followed at the usual intervals by the 334 ELs being at Stop and the 1 stagger dark and then the 335s dark.
There were a coupla spurts of static on the way up Da Hill, where the view was of of all-red 345 WLs and ELs and a dark WB and an equally dark EB going nowhere. The EB was on 1 in back of Chair City Oil, a presumed EDPO with KCIRs 7535, 7534, and 7643, and the WB was on 2 across from the Jade lot. The silence got broken at 0416 when ED-9 with the 3402 announced that the recrew was onboard, a convo ensuing in which ED-9 would pull the yard -- racks visible on 4 and some general mebbe on 2 -- and clearing 345.
Given that a few minutes of Conductor activity was now gonna be consumed, my pilgrimage to The Shrine Of The Deity Of The CPF-345 Dunks was next undertaken, the return in more than sufficient time to see ED-9 get on the move at 0426. There were 6 tanks, 9 covered hoppers (no shorties), and 27 racks, the 4 articulated sets being counted as 1 each. D-3 called ED-9 clear of 345, the 345 1 WL went to Clear, and the presumed EDPO got on the move at 0436 with 37 -- boxes including a coupla Big Gs, tanks, an MT centerbeam, a coupla Brand X scrap hoppers, and separated strings of loaded company hoppers and company gons -- getting east of the WLs at 0441.
In other news, D-3 reached out to 22K at 0442, OKing them to depart North Leominster. Yarding instructions were 1 to 2 to 3, racks to San-Vel, and power back to 2, D-3 surprised when he heard that the racks were buried. To again save suspense, naught clearly attributable to, from, or about 22K would be heard for the balance of my trip. No suspense for the Sameoldsameold Ledger entries: The brush-cutter was on the House and the untucked stone was on the southerly Heywood.
The straight-shot trip EB was quiet until 0453 and some Yard Channel garble, and at 0454, the all-Stops 333 WLs went dark, 400 far enough east.
Further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Advance Approach, the first time I'd seen that displayed there. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0510, dark and solo NewBlue 5936 again graced the FI-1/2 parking spot. At 0517, the EB staggers for Derby would be dark and a solo covered hopper still on the RVJ stub.
As suggested by by the earlier Q427-related reception and 22K having been sent west to Ayer, AYPO was probably already EB.
 #1513978  by jaymac

For 0318-0515/07-15-2019, there were some surprises to leaven the sameoldsameold.
0318? That was when I was -- a little earlier than usual -- getting set to depart and also when Q426/427 got on the air for D-3. The non-response response was a heavily-broken Form D G-201, so both sides of Channel 1 were busy with D-2 business. D-3 did get on the air, but it was with AY-3 and the 7552, asking if they were ready for their runaround and if thing were lined and locked normal, thanking them for the response.
The Q426/427 convo did eventually ensue, Form D G301 being fulfilled at 0343. To finish off Q426/427, D-3 would acknowledge them west and clear of Barbers at 0402.
At 0352, the 333 WLs were dark and -- in usual sequence -- the 334 ELs at Stop and the 1 stagger dark, as would be the 335s.
There was some both-sides-broken Channel 1 activity while heading up Da Hil, and the 345s would remain dark for my brief drive-through. Yard 4 had racks west and general -- covered hoppers and tanks visible -- east, and Yard 1 had rack loads west of the switch. Yard 2? Dunno. There was also an additional -- but garbled D-3/AY-3 exchange at 0408. There had been no changes at either the House or southerly Heywood.
Except for some garble, the straight shot EB was quiet, and the 333 WLs were dark at 0422. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL at Slow Approach and the GL and FG WLs dark. At 0434, solo and dark NewBlue 5936 was again in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and there mebbe coulda mighta been dark WB power buried east on West Side, mebbe ED-9 or equally mebbe POED.
At 0443, the EB staggers for Derby both showed an Approach, provoking cogitation about 22K mebbe holding at Catecunemaug, more to follow. A solo covered hopper was still on the RVJ stub, and AY-4 was doing car countdowns. 2 later, AY-4 advised D-3 that Track 1 was clear, and the next minute, D-3 called out to 22K with NS 7271, the dead air being deafening.
0504? That was when D-3 got busy with 22K. The yarding instructions were 1 to 2 to 3, racks to San-Vel, and power back to 2. Oh yeah -- they were follow Keolis outta North Leominster, so they had been holding however far west of the Main Street/Rte. 13 UGB. So much for cogitation.
As so frequently happens, the last words heard came from AY-4. Unheard words were those to, from, or about EDPO/POED, ED-9, and AYPO/POAY.
 #1514229  by jaymac

0325-0515/07-17-2019 had some surprises, starting at 0330 when D-3 called out to AY-6, then mebbe did some listening, and next said he'd get back to them. Mebbe he did, but I didn't hear, hearing instead a call-out to AY-3, asking their status cuz AYPO needed to get going for a Graniteville recrew in 1/2 hour, acknowledging that it'd be 15-20, and wanting to know when they'd be ready for a signal at 312. The next call-out was to FI-2, asking what track the 9 autos had been spotted on -- FI-2 and racks? --- and then a few seconds of dead-to-me air followed by a repetition of AYPO's agenda, that to be followed by a runaround.
There was some Yard Channel garble, the 0353 arrival at 333 showing dark WLs. All WBs -- even the 1 stagger -- would be red at 334. At 0357, a breaking AYPO called out to D-3 and -- unrelatedly -- the west at 334 got bright, 22K with 3 Ponies (IDs compromised by foliage), 8 racks, and 47 +/- well and rack positions east of the ELs at 0400. That short a 22K with 3 Ponies? Mount Wachusett now in the position of an intervenor, there was D-3 garble at 0402, and darkness would be on display at the 335s in a couple.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark for the brief spell I was there. At 0409, D-3's side of a convo with AYPO started, asking about engine issues they might be having in the yard repeating a 6(60?)x19 and asking for length, tonnage, and hazardous positions, no acknowledgment or repletion heard by me. In fact. naught further to, from, or about AYPO would be heard.
Yard 4 was FP-FP with racks, Yard 2 pretty much the same with racks -- MTs -- west and general east. The House and southerly Heywood? Seemingly unchanged.
The straight shot EB had some garble, and at 0430, the 333 WLs were dark. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0438 there had been a partial, only "racks" and "South Track" clear.
At 0440, not only was the FI-1/2 parking spot MT, but D-3 started giving a garbled-to-me 241 to FI-2, "east to the Single" being clear, hinting that the runaround mentioned earlier was ongoing. From 0443 and on, AY-4's car countdowns were audible, and at 0445, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and a single covered hopper still sat on the RVJ stub. 0450 was when D-3 OKd FI-2 on signal indication, and 0509 was when D-3 asked 400 -- due outta North Leominster at 0508 -- if the staggers for Derby had dropped on approach. 400 was outta my range, and D-3 didn't repeat their response.
AY-4's activity continued, but theirs weren't the last words heard, those being at 0512 from the 22K C or U, advising it was far enough.
 #1514727  by jaymac

For 0320-0520/07-22-2019, there were a few surprises, things starting at 0320 when D-3 OKd AY-3 with the 7459 on signal indication, something somewhere having been lined and locked normal. AY-3 business continued at 0333 with a 241 for 1 east to 1 at AY. There would be D-3 Channel 1 garble at 0342, Mount Wachusett's bulk then between the Paxton antenna and me.
0348 was when the 333 WLs were dark, the 334 ELs at Stop and the 1 stagger and 335s dark in their turns. On the way up Da Hill came a solitary "LA-4" without anything further.
The 345s were and would remain at least temporarily dark. There were FP-FP generals east and mebbe racks west on Yard 4. Yard 2 was also FP-FP with general, heavy on covered hoppers and some tarped dirt containers. Yard 1 had rack loads from the switch west, and the Extension had an unplacarded tank and a Canfor-tented centerbeam. Although there was no 07-19 post -- more about which later -- the Sameoldsameold Ledger entries were still the untucked stone on the southerly Heywood and the brush-cutter on the House. There was an additional House guest -- dark and dead KCIR 7595. At 0412, D-3 gave AY-3 permission to reverse direction from where they stood and head west on 1 at AY, adding something about West Wye and advising that he'd advise AY-4 that AY-3 was coming. At 0414, D-3 told someone -- mebbe 22K or equally mebbe AY-5 -- that they'd hold at Willows until AY-3 was out of the way, garble following.
The post-offering straight shot EB offered only a few bits of garble, and at 0426, the 333 WLs were -- again -- dark.
Further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL at Slow Approach and the DL and FG WLs dark. At 0442, D-3 told Q427 he'd get back to them, and at 0444, NewBlue 5936 was dark and solo in the FI-1/2 parking spot.
0447 was when D-3 called Form D G301 fulfilled, acknowledging Q427's call of being west and clear of Burncoat. D-3 asked if they were tying down at New Bond, the response unheard by me and not repeated. The convo now continued about the 7.8 talker, D-3 repeating that it it had been silent and that there were no diagnostic transmissions, as well. D-3 next added that he had just gotten a call from the police about the Shrewsbury Street crossing -- adding the specificity of 6.0 -- crossing being activated, repeating Q427 transmissions that there had been no problems either EB or WB at Shrewsbury Street.
At 0449, D-3 reached out to AY-5, garble ensuing thanks to the Nashua Street sag. A minute later, the RVJ yard was busy, so there was no good view of the EB staggers for Derby, but there was still a solo covered hopper on the stub. 0452 was when "AY-4, back it up a couple" got heard, more related following.
What should be seen a few later while SB and approaching the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing? Flashing reds and horizontal gates, not to mention a traffic jam. Being jam-averse, I did a uie and took Shrewsbury Street, where all was dark at the MP X6.0 crossing. Evidently, the wrong crossing info had been phoned to PD West Boylston. Relay failure at the 7.8 could go a long way to explain the hypoactivity of the talker and the hyperactivity of the crossing protection.

Now to the mostly-OT part of the post: Why, jaymac, some might ask was there a break in pattern and no post for Friday 07-19? Well, Friday, 07-19, was devoted to remedying the affects of the 07-17 lightning storm, which knocked out power for over an hour. The low-level surge protection that came with the house got fried, leading to similar frying of the control panels on the boiler -- source of heat for the indirect-fired water heater -- and for the standby generator. Oh, the generator started, but the changeover switch didn't change over. Fortunately, naught else got fried, but if you don't have good surge protection, please get it.
 #1514939  by jaymac

For 0320-0511/07-24-2019, things were on the quiet side, as will be seen later.
There were be occasional static eruptions before and after 0339 when 22K -- more about which later -- called out an Approach for Derby. Even the little that was on the Yard Channel was unIDable. 0351 was when the 333 WLs were dark, as would be the 334 1 stagger and 335s, Stops being on the 334 ELs.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would stay dark during my brief stay. There were rack loads on Yard 1 from the switch west plus some more rack loads on at least the westerly end of Yard 2. There was general on the easterly end of Yard 4, the westerly extent being rack-obscured. Untucked stone was still on the southerly Heywood, and dead and dark KCIR 7595 and the brush-cutter were still on the House. The Deity Of The CPF-345 Dunks musta had some pull with The Deity Of High-Band Propagation cuz I got to hear D-3 tell TC 2825 at 0412 that there'd be a hold for a northbound through Holyoke with MEC 5933. The straight shot EB had only occasional static, "AY-3" being the sole clarity at 0420.
The 333 WLs were dark at 0425, and further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Approach. The GL WLs were dark, and at 0434, a breaking D-2 called out to POED, more about which later. The FG WLs were also dark, and at 0437, a dark and solo NewBlue 5936 was in the FI-1/2 parking spot.
At 0444, the EB staggers for Derby showed an Approach for 1 and a Stop for 2. Right around the 2 stagger was a marker, quiet likely 22K's since no yarding convos had been heard. The RVJ stub still had a solo covered hopper.
At 0448, somebody -- EB? WB? -- called out an Approach for the 334 #1. At 0453, D-3 would advise POED to use caution cuz the 312 signal had just dropped. There would be another D-3 transmission at 0455, but Mount Wachusett was now in the way, so all I got was mush. There would be another D-3 reach-out to POED at 0510, advising that 400 was on time, 0511 being when D-3 told POED to take Ayer cuz 400 was coming up to Derby.
Yes, there had been some static eruptions, but naught clearly attributable was heard to, from, or, about Q426/427, AYPO, EDPO, ED-9, and -- most surprisingly -- AY-4. Usually a busy yard is the reason that 22K is held west, especially since it was at Derby an hour + ahead of 400.
 #1515116  by jaymac

For 0325-0520/07-26-2019, the first bit of clarity came at 0336 when D-3 asked AY-3 if they had copied what he just said. Fickle radio reception being just that, I never heard neither response nor repeat.
A few later, D-3 got into a breaking and complicated convo with 22K and NS 9182(?), the complications -- for me -- coming from AYPO being busy in the yard. 22K -- being able to fit in between Walker Road and Ayer tower -- was to pull down to the tower and hold until AYPO was outta town. At 0356, AYPO with the 7620 reached out to D-3, but again fickleness was in force.
At 0358, the 333 WLs were dark, followed by Stops on the 334 ELs and darkness on the 1 stagger and 335s. At 0404, D-3 advised POED with the 7541 that the Chief had said that the 5936 was to go to Deerfield, and if it was facing west, it could be the leader. There was next a broken something about another unit on East Side, followed at 0409 by broken 241 -- FG? -- to POED.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark while I was there. On Yard 4, there was a long string of general, including gons midpoint and west, covered hoppers east, and a white reefer with a UP shield, the possibly-ARMN reporting marks blocked by the 4 rack loads on the Extension. The entries in the Sameoldsameold Ledger continued to be the untucked stone on the southerly Heywood and the brush-cutter on the House, KCIR 7595 having relocated. A 0419 1-sided-to-me D-3 convo with TC 1709 focused on the TC breaking up and being in a bad area, adding some D-3 breakage about a cancellation, mebbe for Conn River activity.
The post-offering straight shot EB had some garbles, clarity being a 0430 D-3 reach-out to AY-5, followed by more garbles. At 0434, the 333 WLs continued to be dark, and further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and a Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL at Slow Approach and the GL and FG WLs dark.
At 0447, KCIR 7542 was dark and on the west end of a long string of racks on East Side. Mebbe POED had taken the racks west to open up Hill Yard, left the 7542, and taken NewBlue 5936 cuz there was no legally visible sign of anybody else in the yard. The departure of the 5936 does pit a crimp in the FI-1/2 Parking Spot Beautification Project. 0447 was also busy on the radio, the activity being the D-3 side of a convo with Q427 and CSXT 769, Form D G304 being fulfilled at 0448, D-3 repeating that 427 would be getting a live recrew at New Bond, saying he was glad they made it safe to Worcester, and wishing them a great Friday.
More D-3 radioactivity would come at 0453 when AYPO called to D-3, who OKd them on signal indication and advised he was ready to copy. Changing topography permitted hearing D-3's power repetition -- 7620, 7585, and 7609 -- but my entry into the Nashua Street sag ate the rest of the train info
At 0456, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, a solo covered hopper sat on the RVJ stub, and the words "AY-4, a couple" were heard. 0458 was when AY-4 advised D-3 that Track 1 was clear, and there was discussion about East Wye or West Wye for 22K and the move coming back from Spagna.
AY-4 would be the primary audio input until the 0520 end of listening, the exception being at 0513 when D-3 OKd AY-5 on signal indication at WL.
 #1515391  by jaymac

The time span for the 0325-0550/07/29-2019 trip might indicate lotsa activity, and there was. 0325 was when "AY-3" got heard, the rest dissolving into Yard Channel garble. Naught further would be heard to, from, or about AY-3 or -- to save suspense -- AY-4 or AYPO or Q426/427, for that matter.
The ever-changing triangulation involving the Paxton antenna, Mount Wachusett, and my antenna meant that D-3's 241 to POED was -- except for "FG" -- garbled.
At 0354, the 333 WLs were dark, and the the 334 ELs would be at Stop, the 1 stagger and 335s dark.
The trip up Da Hill had been quiet and the 345s had been dark, but at 0408, the 346.6 came on. There were racks on Yard 2 from midpoint west, the angle not permitting seeing any reflections, but they were probably loads, as will be seen. The 345 1 WL was now at Clear, and in a combined Monstah/Spoiler Alert, the 346.6 gave a no defects, 65°, and 7603' at 0412. NewBlue 7518, KCIR 7894, NewBlue 600, KCIR 7620, and NewBlues 619 and 354 got 119 -- yes, one hundred and nineteen -- east of the WLs at 0416. There were a few separated utility pole bulkheads, separated cuts of shorties, boxes that included Big Gs, presumed dirt containers on tables, and placarded and non-placarded tanks. Yes, an offering of thanks was made at The Shrine Of The Deity Of The CPF-345 Dunks, and no apparent changes had been visible on either the southerly Heywood or the House.
The non-straight-shot trip EB featured more radio silence, dark 335s, and no changes at 334. Things were dark at the 333s until 0440 when they weren't, a Medium Clear showing on the 1 WL and EDPO getting east at 0445. At 0447, D-3 told POED with the 7620 that they'd hold at Derby for 400, acknowledging that the lead unit was isolated cuz it didn't have fuel. EDPO far enough east, the 333 Controlled Siding WL went to Medium Clear at 0448, and a minute later, D-3 called out to Ayer Yard, Yard Channel garble again ensuing. I was already east when 400 OKd themselves outta Wachusett at 0451, and at 0452, D-3 told EDPO they'd hold at FG for 400 and POED, which should give them time to charge back up. A minute later, D-3 advised 400 they be 1 FG to Derby and then 1 the rest of the way. There would be more to 400 in a bit, but the River Street Zombie Zone was in effect by then.
The 330.8 WBs were both at Stop and the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear, EDPO on 2 crawling past the dark GL WLs. The FG WLs showed the expectable Clear for 1 and Stop for 2. The unexpected was seen at 0502 -- dark and solo NewBlue 5936 was continuing the FI-1/2 Parking Spot Beautification Project, evidently just having been elsewhere on 07-26.
The trip to the RVJ lot was just ahead of 400 and involved not looking up at the bridge, consequences to follow. The EB staggers showed a Limited Approach for 1 and Approach for 2, as well, a solo covered hopper on the RVJ stub. 400 was east at 0509 with 4 flats, 1 bi, and the 1117. In today's proof that we should expect a train observer at any time in any location and in any direction, NERAIL contributor Steve Demboske was there, our info exchange including that there was power on 2 to the west. There was also a member of the RVJ staff who made it clear that the RVJ lot was not a place to watch trains.
Off the RVJ property and over at the old station site came the 0517 sounds of D-3 OKing POED on signal indication at Derby and saying it'd be a straight shot to Deerfield. Thanks again Steve, cuz starting from just east of the the Main Street/Rte.13 UGB were NSs 9853, 9451, and 9263 plus the rest of 22K, a goodly number of racks starting things off. D-3 was in the middle of yarding instructions when POED crossed by at 0524, the noise from KCIRs 7620 (isolated) and 7545 plus 25 blocking the 22K deets. 119 v. 25? Sure seems like a traffic imbalance. There were Irving centerbeams, slurries, and boxes. 22K musta been a recrew cuz D-3 gave a Line 13 G304 to leave North Leominster, time effective 0527.
There would be occasional static eruptions, and Mount Wachusett was a negative intervener again at 0540 when D-3talked to EDPO about 402 being by Wachusett shortly, deets -- again -- lost. Never heard anything further about EDPO. Mebbe they were holding at Catecunemaug by prior and/or unheard arrangement or mebbe making an uninterrupted straight-shot EB on signal indication. Dunno.
 #1515556  by jaymac

For 0320-0525/07-31-2019, there were some surprises. At 0329 and again at 0330, D-3 reached out to POAY. If there were any short-term additional POAY reach-outs, Mount Wachusett's bulk woulda blocked them. To save suspense, naught would be heard to, from, or about 22K, EDPO, POAY, AY-3, or AY-4.
At 0349, the 333 WLs were dark, as would be the 334 1 stagger and 335s, the 334 ELs at Stop,
In an interesting bit of foreshadowing and while upgrade up Da Hill, "6" got heard, followed by possibly unrelated D-3 Yard Channel garble.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were all at Stop, elephant-impressionist KCIRs 7545 and 7489 sitting WB on 2 by West Switch. The C finished what he'd been doing and told AY-6's power to pull ahead and then advised that the derail was down, so to come back into the yard. AY-6? Yes: AY-6. The lead few were generals with racks east to just east of the Jade. There was also general visible on Yard 4 in a rack gap, but dunno how much they'd be picking up. Any changes to the status of either the House or southerly Heywood were invisible. At 0414, there was a garbled D-3 reach-out to Q426 involving "25," to be followed at 0435 by another garble to 426, naught further being heard to, from, or about those guys.
The post-offering straight shot EB featured AY-6 reaching out to D-3at 0427, but -- again -- Mount Wachusett was in the way, so dunno. Also dunno if AY-6 would be continuing west or get recrewed and renamed.
At 0432, the 333 WLs were dark, and further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2 and the 330 1 WL a Slow Approach, the GL and FG WLs dark.
At 0453, NewBlue 5936 was in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and at 0459 and seen from the old station site, the EB staggers for Derby were dark. A couple later and seen from Nashua Street, a solo covered hopper sat on the RVJ stub.
Except for a couple of unattributable static eruptions, the rest of the trip was quiet.
 #1515765  by jaymac

0321-0600/08-02-2019 was busy, starting at 0321 with both sides of a D-3/Q427 convo about 427 -- much more about which later -- being into the territory. 0331 presented a scratchy "AYPO" and naught else about which, at least in the near term.
At 0352, the 333 WLs were dark, ditto -- in turn -- the 334 1 stagger and 335s, the 334 ELs being at Stop. At 0358 and while I was WB up Da Hill, AYPO's train info and read-back were both garbled, 6738 tons being the sole clarity.
The 345s were initially dark, but would come on with all at Stop. There were loaded racks on Yard 1 just west of the switch and a tank and MT centerbeam on Yard lead, the Sa,eoldsameold Ledger entries continuing to be the southerly Heywood's untucked stone and the House's brush-cutter. EDPO had called out to D-3 at 0405, and the 346.6 came on at 0412. A lengthy convo got going about EDPO being long, having 5 units plus 22 cars for the PW, and 22K having been told to leave East Switch clear. Of the 5 units, 1 was to be left at Fitchburg and the Fitchburg and mebbe Ayer cars were to be left at OX. By mutual agreement, there'd be later discussion of easterly things later. In the meantime, the 345 2 WL had gone to Medium Clear for the later continuation of the trip.
0424 was the the start of the D-3 side of a convo with 22K and NS 1184. They were OKd to leave North Leominster, the yarding instructions were 1 to 2 to 3, cars on 1 mebbe having to be shoved west, and at 0426 the 346.6 and D-3 stepped on each other, the 346.6 giving a 0428 no defects, 55° (blessed relief!), and 4950''.
At 0431, D-3 would acknowledge that Q427 had tied down in Clinton and was clear of MP X18. To fill the time while EDPO was getting ready to headpin the PWs, D-3 started providing a buncha West End receptions, the first a Form D G306 to TC 2825, Line 4ing all tracks MP S30 to CPR-1, the Time Effective lost, but about 0435. D-3's attention returned to 22K. There were a reported 0x15 on Track 1 that would have to be shoved west. FI-2 and mebbe another crew were in the yard doing other things, adding at 0440 that the Chief had said to keep 22K going. Back on the West End, there was a broken Form D G307 Line 4ing all tracks from ???? to East Deerfield, followed next by a D-3 discussion with RJED, leading at 0455 to them tying down at Red Barn with the help of 11R. To almost finish off with 427, at 0507, D-3 told the apparent recrew that the same Form D would apply and that there were 2 engines and some cars on Clinton Siding they might add to the train.
Could all of the preceding have been edited down for both content and space? Yes, but sometimes things get busy, and that should be conveyed. Oh yeah, EDPO's power was KCIRs 7542, 7797, 7498, OldPaint 305, and KCIR 7545, and yes, an offering had been made earlier.
Boston West and D-2 were additional sources of clearish audio on the straight-shot trip EB, and at 0505, the 333 WLs were dark. At 0516, 402 would reach out to D-3, D-3 saying to call him back in 5-10 cuz he had crossings to take OOS.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 WLs both at Stop, and the GL and FG WLs both dark. It was no surprise that the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, D-3 having earlier advised 22K about FI-2 mebbe working Hill Yard. At 0530, 22K's car countdowns would be heard clearly, and at 0533, the D-3/402 convo resumption would be heard. Besides the consist and crew info, there was also the word that 1 traction motor had been cut out on the 1125.
Were the surprises over? No -- At 0554 there was a broken D-2 -- yes, two -- 241 to FI-2 with the 503 from somewhere and west. The OOS crossings? Never heard, but i did hear crossing noise -- presumably 427 -- at the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing at 0656.
 #1516027  by jaymac

For 0325-0545/08-05-2019, there was a mix of mobility and immobility. things starting at 0325 with D-3's 1-at-312-to-Single 241 for AY-3 with the 7523, followed by wanting to know if they wanted to go West Wye and rogering whatever they said. The input continued audible, sounding at 0331 like Q427's power being behind the West Boylston Fire Department working up the grade, confirmed visually seconds later by WB tented centerbeams on the Rtes.12/140 UGB. 0336 was when the 7.8 came on, the final report unheard for the combined causes of other transmissions and my being outta range. More about 427 will be seen.
The 7541 on ED-9 called out to D-3 at 0342 giving a 7x65, 6404 ton, and 4289' update and advising there was a cripple rack -- broken pipe by a valve -- on 3 on West Side. D-3 inquired about the presence of a cab, wishing them -- at 0346 -- a safe trip back to Ayer.
At 0351, the 333 WLs were dark, as would be the 334 1 stagger and 335s, the 334 ELs -- as usual -- at Stop.
At 0359, there would be a Mount-Wachusett-muddled "EDPO," followed at 0403 by a clear D-3 side of a convo with FI-2 and the 5930, checking how ready they were for their Camp/Derby runaround, garble then mystifying the busyness he outlined to them. Had I earlier misread "5930" for "5936?" More about the 5936 later.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were on with a Slow Clear for the 1 and an EB on 1 facing the Stops on the WLs. The WB was already coming through the yard, and POED's marker got called at 0409, and it was over to the Wilkins Road dogleg in more than enough time to see NewBlue 3402 and KCIR 7875 hauling west, wrapped centerbeams up front. Back at the yard, the EB was already east, opening up a view of the yard. There were loaded racks on Yard 1, general on Yards 2 and 4 and the tank and MT centerbeam on Yard Lead. Also unchanged were the southerly Heywood and House. The 346.6 came on at 0418 and gave a no defects, 53°, and 2173' at 0420.
The post-offering EB trip was to 335, in plenty of time to observe the weed explosion and continued presence of the tie-handler in the lot. At 0435, the 335s would come on, and 4 later, D-3 would continue his convo with FI-2, the same time that AY-4 was involved in doing car countdowns, telling D-3 that ??? was clear at 0440, and then going back to countdowns. The EB pulled into view, KCIRs 7489 and 7898 and -- wait for it -- NewBlue 5936 getting 63 east at 0445. The presumed EDPO -- cuts of shorties in the mix -- had a Smurf and Big G among the boxes, separated utility-pole bulkheads, and a good number of MT centerbeams. 400's equipment -- 3 flats, 1 bi, and the 1029 -- got east a minute later and would be east of the 333 WLs at 0452, but as of my 0457 departure, the 333 WLs were still at Stop, so the EB would be sitting for a bit. Dunno how far EB the 5936 would be.
Further east, 22K's racks were visible on 2 at the westerly River Street UGB. The 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2. Racks were visible by the Rollstone Street OHB, the 330 WLs were both at Stop, 22K's power stopped just west.
The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0508, the FI-1/2 parking spot was predictably MT, but East Side wasn't -- ED-9 with dark KCIRs 7541, 7620, and 7545 followed by the 7x65. Dunno how much general ED-9 would be lifting from Gardner, but chances should be good of being into triple digits.
0511 was when D-3 confirmed that Q427 with CSXT 3047 was west and clear of Burncoat, fulfilled Form D G301, asked if they'd be tying down at New Bond, rogered whatever they said, and asked if the could call west and clear off Barbers, next at 0512 repeating that they were west and clear of Barbers.
At 0518, the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and a solo covered hopper still sat on the RVJ stub.
AY-4 was continuing to keep the air from being dead, and at 0527, D-3 first called out to FI-2, saying he'd run them west to Derby and then back to their train, following that with a call to 22K with the NS 9181. AY-4's continued activity plus another drive through Mount Wachusett's shadow worked against what might immediately be happening with 22K.
The last clear reception was at 0544 when D-3 said he was gonna 241 FI-2 at Derby, but FI-2 advised that the signal came in.
 #1516280  by jaymac

0322-0520/08-07-2019 was a still life for the visuals, but the airwaves were active, starting at 0322 with a both-sides-broken D-3/???? exchange involving plural fault messages, Power to be notified, and ???? being on the grade at Mill Street. No attributable developments were heard.
At 0335, AYPO -- more about which later -- would reach out to the CSX crew, static and garble ensuing, mebbe involving the named parties and mebbe not. Starting at 0339, D-3 reached out to AY-3 with the 7595 a few times, even asking if they could hear him "on this one." A rant will follow. At 0341, AY-3 was 241d 1 AY east to 1, followed at 0358 by a now-garbled-to-me D-3 giving AY-3 permission to reverse direction from where they stood, other deets lost.
At 0351, the 333 WLs had been dark, and the usual sequence of the 334 ELs at Stop plus the 334 1 stagger and 335s being dark was in effect.
Up Da Hill, the 345s were and would remain dark for the brief drive-through duration, and at 0408, there was some breaking D-3 West End business, "RJ" being the sole clarity. There were 5 loaded racks on Yard 1 at the switch and east onto Yard Lead, the easterly end of a black tank visible on the Extension just east of the easterly rack. Yes, the southerly Heywood and House situations were unchanged. To save suspense, the loaded racks were the only 22K info during the trip. At 0410, D-3 started an convo with AYPO and the 7489, OKing them to continue on Form D G302 from where they stood and down to 25, AY-3 was in the yard, so they should be called, and the Chief had said to grab another engine if they needed to. Dunno if AYPO had been a party to the 0322 convo.
At 0413 and while in line at The Shrine Of The Deity Of The CPF-345 Dunks -- normally a place of clear D-3 receptions -- came a garbled D-3 reach-out to Q427, followed at 0417 by a clearer Form D G304 from Clinton West to Burncoat. D-3 advised Q427 that he wasn't sure what happened to the radio, but only the Form D number got heard on the read-back. The read-back was read back, and the time effective was 0417, D-3 advising that the radio had cut out again, and he needed another read-back on the time effective, providing more fodder for the future rant. Added to that, D-3 wanted the Clinton West switch normaled and would need to know the when. Breaking acknowledgment of that would come at 0435, causing the usual concerns of my being on the wrong side of of the Temple Street/Rte. 140/ MP X7.8 crossing at the wrong time. To save suspense, It was an untroubled transit, crossing noise not being made until 0538, well into keyboarding.
Back to chronological order: The 333 WLs had been dark at 0425, and post-refueling-stop, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear and the GL and FG WLs dark.
At 0442, KCIR 5930 was dark and solo in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and at 0445 came sounds of AY-4 being busy, those sounds ongoing through the rest of the trip. 0449 was when the EB staggers for Derby were dark, and a couple later, a solo covered hopper still sat on the RVJ stub.
0456 produced more D-3 garble, followed at 0500 by a both-sides garbled AYPO/AY-3 exchange, some deets being that AY-3 was on 11 so AYPO would have to wait at West End. My distance was increasing, so the clarity likewise decreased.
At 0505 there was a breaking D-3/400 exchange concerning a signal, deets lost again.

Herewith the rant: It is a mere inconvenience to volunteer listeners if reception is sometimes -- even frequently -- compromised, but it is a risk to owners, officers, dispatchers, crews, and passengers when reliable communications are compromised. PAR/S has accumulated more than a half-century of radio experience, more than enough to know what the problem areas are and how to remedy those situations. It seems, however, that all that experience has not served to put cures in effect, but rather and in effect, to define acceptance of the problems as SOP.