Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1511335  by jcpatten

In a perfect world, 680 would carry an extra coach with it, which would then be switched out in Boston and stored to be put back on the northbound 5 PM train.

If this post has been duplicated - apologies, the board seems to be acting rather strange. This is the third time I've posted this message.
 #1511339  by arthur d.

Rockingham Racer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:02 pm
The problem with that, Arthur, is that the T does not go to Exeter.
Well, duh. The "suck it up" comment was in reference to the whiner from Haverhill. I myself have given up on the DE. As infrequently as I ride these days, there always seems to be some sort of delay, broken rail, stalled freight, car or trespasser strike or something. Haverhill or Newburyport are both only a few minutes further away, and the T has never let me down. When I hear commuters from Exeter or Dover saying things like "its always a nice surprise when they're on time", I know it isn't just me.
 #1511351  by gokeefe

Hardly. It simply isn't feasible given the specific equipment setup on the Downeaster and the need to recover time when they are running behind.

There are many instances where due to the scheduled layovers at North Station the service is able to recover from a one hour (or more) delay and depart on time for the next train.

NNEPRA is doing everything they can to operate the best service possible on the railroads they run over. Track conditions are better now than they ever have been and they are going to get better with the additional planned sidings.
 #1511368  by east point

MEC407 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 pm
There may come a time when the train is consistently standing-room-only by the time it reaches Durham-UNH, and when that happens, I would expect NNEPRA to add another car. But I don't think it'll happen before then.
Are any spare Amtrak Amfleet-1s available ? How much more will Amtrak charge once another car becomes available ? Does another revenue car require more Conductors ? Would another OBS be required ? Are there platform lengths that will not accommodate another car ? Are there any sidings that will not accommodate another car ? ( doubtful ) Is just one loco enough power to maintain schedule ?
 #1511379  by gokeefe

1. No (at present)
2. Quite a bit per the formulas (I believe the amount of $30-$50K per month +/-)
3. Yes if there are more than six working cars there has to be another assistant conductor (three additional cars allowed per AC)
4. Brunswick can't do more than 6 cars (as I recall) due to signals and grade crossings
5. None that I'm aware of (especially none of the passing tracks)
6. Yes

The fundamental answer to all of this is the sixth roundtrip. I used to wonder about train length as well but it simply isn't the answer.
 #1511422  by Rockingham Racer

I would go back one step further: more equipment--which is not really available, unless you a private concern is engaged--is simply not available. And no available equipment means no increased frequencies. Iowa Pacific, for example, has lots of equipment, but it's vintage.
 #1511441  by gokeefe

It's also worth noting that as is NNEPRA already has sufficient equipment to add a sixth roundtrip. Two of the trainsets run two round trips per day and the third only one. The six roundtrip isn't so much about expansion as it is about full utilization.
 #1511473  by Rockingham Racer

gokeefe wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:38 pm It's also worth noting that as is NNEPRA already has sufficient equipment to add a sixth roundtrip. Two of the trainsets run two round trips per day and the third only one. The six roundtrip isn't so much about expansion as it is about full utilization.
George, refresh my memory, please. Does a 6th frequency require PTC on Pan Am? Seems that many moons ago, I heard that somewhere; perhaps on here.
 #1511479  by nomis

6 RT’s of Passenger trains is the max allowable as an exemption of having PTC installed.
 #1511594  by gokeefe

Because NNEPRA focuses and clusters the Downeaster around peak periods. An additional frequency would enable them to tweak arrivals and departures accordingly.
 #1511611  by markhb

Speaking of the monthly fare rates... They're going up!

The nice thing is that the plan gives up a nice pricing chart for all the city pairs...