Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1508620  by 690

Rockingham Racer wrote:I thought I read somewhere it's a CSX local crew now that runs those trains between Worcester and Ayer.
Normally, but Pan Am crews will still occasionally move 426/427 over the Worcester main as needed.
 #1508637  by jaymac

Just guessing that mebbe maintaining qualifications for crews may be part of the motivation for PAR crews on 426/7...
 #1510410  by BandA

So PAR gets the produce center runs, CSX gets some wor-ayr work either as compensation or as cooperation.
 #1510455  by A215

jaymac wrote:Just guessing that mebbe maintaining qualifications for crews may be part of the motivation for PAR crews on 426/7...
It's more about timing than anything else. If the trains don't get their meet at Ayer done at the right time, the CSX cans. Usually if that happens it falls on Pan Am to get the train back to Worcester.
 #1512139  by SpiderHill

A relative told me that an MBTA move went over the Worcester main today late morning. It included four or five coaches and a locomotive on each end. Is the Grand Junction out of service or is this something else?
 #1512142  by Backshophoss

Could have been a MBTA crew qualifying run to retain their qual for that route with out the need of a PAR pilot
 #1516158  by RMB357

Has Norfolk Southerns new operating plan affected traffic on this line? Are they combining trains, using DPUs in this area?
 #1516174  by PBMcGinnis

The NS has no say nor a financial stake in the Worcester main line to Ayer. That is a Springfield Terminal operation. The ST and CSXT have made some trades in operating agreements in Boston and Worcester as noted in other discussion topics.

Plus the STB ruling granting the NS and Pan Am Southern joint venture prevents NS from influencing the ST and CSXT interchange.
 #1516175  by R&PEditor

BandA wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:26 am So PAR gets the produce center runs, CSX gets some wor-ayr work either as compensation or as cooperation.
Last night ~6:15 behind Union station in Worcester CSX 737 and 357 were at the head of a long string of double-stack gondolas going to Ayer.
 #1518445  by jaymac

0430/08-28-2019 D-3 started a series of convos with Q427, the short story being that there was broken rail ~MP X 5-9 -- just west of Shrewsbury Street. As best as I could hear, there were no hazardous involved. D-3 would call out to AY-4 a bit later to go west to haul unaffected part the train clear of the MP X6.0 crossing. AY-4 said he'd call D-3 on the phone, so dunno if AY-4 -- or 427, for that matter -- was on short time. Also dunno if it was related, but D-3 would later tell AY-6 to tie down there cars and bring the engine back cuz someone else might need it.
PD West Boylston had placed a detour sign on Shrewsbury diverting traffic to Hartwell before my 0525 driveby..
Guess 10 MPH MAS will stay in effect for a bit.
 #1518456  by jwhite07

Having enjoyed an unimpeded transit of the Temple Street crossing about 15 minutes prior to this event, the words of Maxwell Smart echo in my ears... "Missed it by that much!" Not at all unhappy to dodge that bullet, but I may have to plan accordingly as I usually route my evening journey via Shrewsbury Street.

Did they actually put anything on the ground?
 #1518478  by jaymac

Some follow-up: Between 1215 and 1225/08-28-2019, Shrewsbury Street and Burncoat were clear line-of-sight in both directions. W-to-E on Greendale sat CSXTs 958, 3069, and 3246 dark and light. D-3 cancelled Form D G303 to whomever was at Temple Street, that being EB KCIR 7549 and however many cars at 1235.
No idea if there were cars and/or track crews outta sight W of Shrewsbury Street or how many cars the 7549 had, the foliage between the old dump/new solar farm being too heavy to see anything.
 #1518504  by johnhenry

At 0850 this morning as I was traveling across the Rt12/140 Wachusett causway, I caught a glimpse of a solo engine across the water on the railroad causeway. I think it was headed east and there were no cars with it.