Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1506691  by jaymac

This particular 04-23-2019 entry for The Annals of imPrecision Railroading happened as part of a pre-1400 Home Despot run, so there was no monitoring and so no knowledge of precursor events. While heading south on West Boylston Street/Rte 12 and across from Quinsigamond Community College, cars were visible, no more than half a mile, it would be later quantified, and a bit clear of New Bond were CSXTs 258 and 802 sitting dark. While I was walking through the Home Despot lot, there was the sound of low-throttle GE exhaust, which seemed a little quick It was GE exhaust, but an EB single unit, CSXT 801 which -- about 15 minutes later -- was seen bright and on the point of the WB.
Since New Bond to Burncoat is other than main track, there wouldn't have been a Form D, but there probably was -- mebbe much earlier -- permission to enter the territory.
If anyone is at liberty to explain this bit of strangeness, I -- and mebbe others -- would appreciate it.
 #1506692  by rustyrails

Last night 4/22/19 I heard Q426 call Panam for a form D about 8:15pm. After that, the Q426 called P&W for permission through their territory. A third call to CSX main line was to bring the PanAM cars up. I noticed the Q426 crossing the crossing at Garden Street at about 9:05. This was almost one hour later. thought it was kinda funny it took that long to go through.......
 #1506752  by jaymac

My observations are spotty, but it had seemed that -- originally -- 1 CSX crew could run as Q426 to Ayer, swap trains, and run west as Q427, tying down sometimes at the West Boylston cemetery -- MP X8.3 -- or Shrewsbury Street -- MP X6 -- or New Bond. But Q427 tie-downs have also happened at MP X25.5, and sometimes, it seems like 3 crews are needed to do the New Bond/New Bond roundtrip. And to confuse things even more, there are the light=power moves audible at the Temple Street/Rte 140/MP X7.8 talker.
 #1506769  by rustyrails

It seems lately the Q426 and Q427 schedules are very inconsistent. I see the MEC engines running on the Q427 to Burncoat or New Born, but not all the time.
 #1506773  by johnhenry

I heard D3 give 427 permission to enter the territory to New Bond to pick up their train yesterday (so i assume a light power move east from Worcester yard). I have also heard D3 call eastbound freights on the Worcester main as "POAY".
 #1507140  by Boatsmate75

as of late, the last month or two at least, THe CSX yard crew (Y120) has been holding down two different runs off the CSX mainline trains. Q426/427 has been combined as of late to include P&W cars on the end of the train, Normally the head end. Normally Q426 will tie the train down by CP 48. Y 120 will then go and get whatever is on the head end, Normally the P&W Cars, it will then deliver the cars to the P&W. By then (at least on Friday and Saturday nights) Q427 has arrived at New Bond or Burncoat st, Y120 then heads up light engines, and drags the train down to CP 48. Y120 then takes the remaining cars fro Q426 up top Burncoat. in weeks past Pan am has had one or two engines on the end of the train with Y120 uses to take the train up to Burncoat with their locomotive on the rear of the train for them to get back to Worcester.
 #1508577  by CPF363

Does an ST crew move the train east from Burncoat? Is the power a combination of both CSX and ST units on the Q426/Q427 train or only CSX units?
 #1508610  by johnhenry

The long 427 from 5/12 had mixed freight as usual, the only thing that stood out for me was two sections of AMRN (reefers?) with power lights glowing. One section was buried, the other at the tail. Roughly 6-10 cars total is a guess.
As far as I see, it is all of mostly CSX power lately moving this train. Eastbounds are often sitting at New Bond St (as before) and crews still call clear (and ask for permission in) to PanAm territory.