Railroad Forums 

• Septa Key cards, one time or refillable?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1508376  by train2

I live outside the Septa area and only use the system a couple of times each year. On my last trip the vending machine for the subway line issued me a Septa Key card, marked Quick Trip 3 places on the bottom of the card. This is my first time getting one of these. Reading the back it say only good for day of use printed on the front. I take it these are not something that can't be saved and have value added to the card for future use? It is just a one time use card stock? Just want to check for discarding them.
 #1508385  by ExCon90

As I understand it the Quick Trip ticket is simply the successor to the token, with the difference that you could buy tokens when it was convenient and carry them until needed, whereas the new, improved arrangement requires the ticket to be used on the day you buy it...
 #1508389  by R36 Combine Coach

ExCon90 wrote:As I understand it the Quick Trip ticket is simply the successor to the token, with the difference that you could buy tokens when it was convenient and carry them until needed, whereas the new, improved arrangement requires the ticket to be used on the day you buy it...
Tokens were not sold for single trip fares, but in multiples of 2, 5 or 10 (with a discount off the cash fare). Example, when the $1.60 cash fare was in effect (1995-2002), tokens were sold 2 for $2.30, 5 at $5.75 and 10 for $11.50 ($1.15 vs. $1.60 cash).
 #1508446  by JeffK

Yes, QTs were initially promoted as token-equivalents but in SEPTA's alternate universe they've turned out to have all the "gotchas" of cash. They cost the same which is 50¢ higher than the Key-based fare plus they have no transfer privileges. They're practical only for someone who's just making one or two trips involving a single vehicle. To the best of my knowledge the major reason for their existence is to divert cash payments to vending machines as opposed to being made directly to subway cashiers. (Not to forget skimming extra bucks from the unwary, of course.)

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but at one time SEPTA said QTs for the Airport Line would cost the same as tickets bought from an agent and thus be exempt from the infernal on-board surcharge. Can anyone confirm/deny? (In any case I'm flying next month & will check if I have time.)
 #1508590  by R36 Combine Coach

JeffK wrote: To the best of my knowledge the major reason for their existence is to divert cash payments to vending machines as opposed to being made directly to subway cashiers. Not to forget skimming extra bucks from the unwary, of course.
The cynical viewpoint thinks also to rake in more bucks to the fare systems contractor, given the major bids and huge fare system to be installed.

I believe TTC is now the only North American rail transit system that continues to allow single trip cash fares paid to the collector (station agent or cashier). NYCT still does it for seniors only (reduced fare passengers may pay the $2.75 cash fare to an agent for round trip and receive a return fare receipt, everyone else must use a SingleRide MetroCard purchased from machines).