Railroad Forums 

• Lousy slides

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1508072  by BR&P

This one's not lousy, but not the best. Cloudy day, no detail on the locos, but it does give a nice look at JB-3 westbound between Leroy and Batavia on March 27, 1976. The end was near!
img979.jpg
img979.jpg (219.01 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
 #1508100  by BR&P

jurtz wrote:What is the rail line in the foreground?
Can never remember if it's the Erie or the Peanut, believe it's Erie. The LV crossed it on a bridge a short ways west of there.
 #1508107  by BR&P

nydepot wrote:Correct, Erie. NYC was further south by then.
Thanks Charles! I thought I remembered right, then started second guessing myself.

Looking at a map, I believe that was taken at Prole Road, north of Route 5.
 #1508148  by Gyro

BR&P wrote:
pumpers wrote: Also, in the pic of the red B&O caboose near Dock Jct, it looks like a baseball bat sticking out from the bicycle somehow. Coming from a game, or was it a rough neighborhood? :(
Pumpers, that wasn't my bat but I guarantee it was not for self-defense. That was at McCall Road (Barnards) and was perhaps 1/2 mile from Kodak. Back then probably 50% or more of the folks around there worked for Kodak and life was wonderful. Kodak had athletic fields and sponsored summer baseball leagues for kids, and it's possible that bike was forumite C2629, IIRC he played summer ball back then.

Since we're on the B&O, here's a pic of "the twins" at the docks. The dock office is at left, they are just completing the task of shoving loads out onto the trestle. Simply taking about 5 steps back would have made a great pic showing the building and the trestle, not to mention not cutting off the nose of the 9547. But as Willie Nelson's song goes, "There's nothing I can do about it now".
img968.jpg
Not to interject myself into the pictures. I grew up a half mile from Barnards. Played KPAA on Ridge Road and worked at Kodak for 26 years. Wonderful time it was!
 #1508169  by lvrr325

I found a shot similar to that LV one in a big box of old vacation and family slides I bought at the flea market. D&H going north at Cobleskill on a sunny fall day. Got lucky, they were taking pictures at the college homecoming parade and a train went by and they took one picture of it. I was able to figure out where they were standing and can probably figure out the day it was taken too. But too far away to determine engine numbers, there's a pole in the shot, etc. The same road sign is still there though.
 #1508183  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:I found a shot similar to that LV one in a big box of old vacation and family slides I bought at the flea market. D&H going north at Cobleskill on a sunny fall day. Got lucky, they were taking pictures at the college homecoming parade and a train went by and they took one picture of it. I was able to figure out where they were standing and can probably figure out the day it was taken too. But too far away to determine engine numbers, there's a pole in the shot, etc. The same road sign is still there though.
At least with your shot, there are still active rails there. Both rail lines in that LV pic are gone, as well as the parallel NYC Peanut line a half mile south. :(
 #1508438  by mkirsch

The only bad photographer is the one that doesn't take any pictures. Even so called "good" photographers will take hundreds if not thousands of shots to get one good one... Has something to do with monkeys and typerwiters and Shakespeare.
 #1508615  by tree68

mkirsch wrote:The only bad photographer is the one that doesn't take any pictures. Even so called "good" photographers will take hundreds if not thousands of shots to get one good one... Has something to do with monkeys and typerwiters and Shakespeare.
It's kind of a photography rule of thumb - you'll get one good keeper shot per roll. For those not familiar with film, that's 24 or 36 images per roll of film...
 #1508786  by BR&P

Well, the thread was "Lousy Slides" but since we had some discussion about the location of the previous shot, I'm going to put this one in. It's not lousy but someone should have taken a chain saw to that tree! :P This will help show the view we discussed. Same train, JB-3 3-27-76
img980.jpg
img980.jpg (260.78 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
 #1508789  by BR&P

Again, maybe not "lousy" but it's sure one I'd like to have over again. Just a SLIGHT move to the left with the camera would have included more of the 6938. :( Gainesville NY, 9-13-75
img981.jpg
img981.jpg (354.47 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
 #1508968  by tree68

BR&P wrote:Just a SLIGHT move to the left with the camera would have included more of the 6938.
And a little less of the bushes - but hindsight is almost always 20-20, and I'm not going to criticize an image that documents stuff like this. As you said, wish we had it back.

Keep on posting!
 #1508995  by BR&P

tree68 wrote:And a little less of the bushes - but hindsight is almost always 20-20, and I'm not going to criticize an image that documents stuff like this. As you said, wish we had it back.

Keep on posting!
Well, sometimes there are other factors which affect the quality or the aim of the shot. The pics actually didn't come out too bad for shooting 1-handed. Why? My other hand was hanging onto a tree! Photo below taken by Dave MonteVerde, just before or just after the pic I posted. :-D :-D :-D (FWIW, not all my shots are bad. Of the bunch I took of that meet, one was published in Mike Zollitsch's BR&P Volume 1 by Morning Sun.
DRB taking pic from tree at Gainesville - Copy.jpg
DRB taking pic from tree at Gainesville - Copy.jpg (522.9 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
 #1509001  by nydepot

I think I saw you at Club 747 in Henrietta back in the day.
disco.jpg