Railroad Forums 

• WMATA Summer 2019 BL/YL Virginia platform project

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1507164  by Sand Box John

"mtuandrew"
I’d rather just beg CSX and the FRA to let Metro install a single-track shoo-fly on their property, just to get around Braddock.

A simpler solution would have been a temporary turnout beyond the south end of the platform. Single track using one side of the platform while rebuilding the other.
Code: Select all
----   ------------------
    \    --------  \ /
     \   |      |   X
      \  --------  / \
-------------------------
When the first half is done swap out the turnout and rebuild the other half.
      /  --------  \ /
     /   |      |   X
    /    --------  / \
 #1507178  by STrRedWolf

Sand Box John wrote:"mtuandrew"
I’d rather just beg CSX and the FRA to let Metro install a single-track shoo-fly on their property, just to get around Braddock.

A simpler solution would have been a temporary turnout beyond the south end of the platform. Single track using one side of the platform while rebuilding the other.
    \    --------  \ /
     \   |      |   X
      \  --------  / \
When the first half is done swap out the turnout and rebuild the other half.
      /  --------  \ /
     /   |      |   X
    /    --------  / \
I think it's not that simple. From what I'm getting with the release, the entire end of the platform has to be pushed up off the support beams, trimmed, and put back down in one go to lower it. I doubt the station is built to allow it to be done one side then another.
 #1507181  by Sand Box John

"STrRedWolf"
I think it's not that simple. From what I'm getting with the release, the entire end of the platform has to be pushed up off the support beams, trimmed, and put back down in one go to lower it. I doubt the station is built to allow it to be done one side then another.

If memory serves the part of the platform above the mezzanine is supported by 4 parallel girders, the parts north and south of the mezzanine have fill between the walls that support the platform overhangs.
 #1507226  by mtuandrew

I kind of wish Metro would run a rail shuttle every twenty minutes between F-S, King Street, Huntington and return.

Hopefully the long outage means they are also doing the necessary work of cleaning ballast, replacing ties and rail bonds, and upgrading the physical plant wherever possible. I’m also curious to see which cars are left in Alexandria Yard when the shutdown takes effect, and what work will be done to them.

(Trying to look on the bright side of this utter disaster.)
 #1507266  by Sand Box John

@ "mtuandrew"

My understanding is they are doing platform replacements at 3 of the 4 C route stations south of National Airport, demolishing the condemned garage and replacing the interlocking at Huntington and doing some needed work to the servicing facilities in the Alexandria Yard shop building. The railroad south of National Airport will basically be shutdown to most if not all rail movements.
 #1507386  by STrRedWolf

Sand Box John wrote: My understanding is they are doing platform replacements at 3 of the 4 C route stations south of National Airport, demolishing the condemned garage and replacing the interlocking at Huntington and doing some needed work to the servicing facilities in the Alexandria Yard shop building. The railroad south of National Airport will basically be shutdown to most if not all rail movements.
And so they're trying to make the most out of a full south-of-Regan shutdown. Should be interesting to see if they go over.
 #1507423  by Sand Box John

"STrRedWolf"
And so they're trying to make the most out of a full south-of-Regan shutdown. Should be interesting to see if they go over.

Contractors began staging equipment and supplies for this project several weeks ago.
Eisenhower Ave staging for renovations
 #1507515  by JDC

At Eisenhower they're also beginning the removal of the glass panels that surround part of the platform area.
 #1507701  by mtuandrew

The bus loop is closed at Van Dorn and will be Kiewit’s staging area there. Temporary loop is in the kiss & ride lot.

EDIT TO ADD:
GojiMet86 wrote:For the busfans here, DASH bought some articulated Neoplans from Westchester Bee-Line for this.
I saw a number of them out and about today, especially on the AT8. They look nice and new from 25’ away, but you can tell it was a pretty quick paint job when you’re in a traffic jam next to one. Haven’t been inside one yet.
 #1507854  by STrRedWolf

Saw this off of NewsChannel 8:

https://wjla.com/news/metro-summer-shut ... r-shutdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The video actually describes the issues with Braddock Road. They got to drop the platform and reconstruct sections. That's... deconstruction and pouring concrete. Ain't no way to single-track that and keep the construction schedule.
 #1507896  by JDC

mtuandrew wrote:The bus loop is closed at Van Dorn and will be Kiewit’s staging area there. Temporary loop is in the kiss & ride lot.

EDIT TO ADD:
GojiMet86 wrote:For the busfans here, DASH bought some articulated Neoplans from Westchester Bee-Line for this.
I saw a number of them out and about today, especially on the AT8. They look nice and new from 25’ away, but you can tell it was a pretty quick paint job when you’re in a traffic jam next to one. Haven’t been inside one yet.
Saw one on 495 this morning heads towards Alexandria from Springfield. Even at a distance, the paint job was noticeably 'off'.
 #1507898  by JDC

Bus loop at Eisenhower is closed, but the staging area for Kiewit is next door on one of the large empty parking lots.
 #1508010  by JDC

In case anyone is interested, this GGW piece discusses how Metro may use the station at National Airport to turn trains around during this project based on this weekend's test run. https://ggwash.org/view/72035/metro-rea ... s-to-learn. In short, "one ... worked reasonably well with trains coming every four minutes when both Yellow and Blue Line trains ran every eight minutes during simulated rush service. All trains entered the airport, offloaded passengers from the center track, and then turned around to pick up passengers heading north on the inbound track." Another option was "a variant of the Spanish solution. Trains entered the center pocket track at National, let passengers off on the south/west platform side, closed the train doors, and then let passengers on from the east/north platform."
 #1508030  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
All trains entered the airport, offloaded passengers from the center track, and then turned around to pick up passengers heading north on the inbound track." Another option was "a variant of the Spanish solution. Trains entered the center pocket track at National, let passengers off on the south/west platform side, closed the train doors, and then let passengers on from the east/north platform."

NEWS FLASH 04 01 1977
WMATA Begins Blue line metro service between National Airport and Stadium-Armory serving 18 stations along 12 mile of track .

The above description of how WMATA will turn trains during the shutdown of the railroad south of National Airport is how it was done from 04 01 1977 to 12 02 1983. They also on occasions would discharge passengers to the outbound platform from track C2 relay beyond the station and board passengers from the inbound platform to track C3.

WMATA Reinvents The Wheel.