Railroad Forums 

• SU99/SU100 Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1483970  by David Hutchinson

Today, Saturday, August 25th, the SU-99 came through Warwick around noon. Power was two CSX wide cabs with an NS in between. NS nice and clean, CSX units filthy. About 50 or more cars.
 #1489317  by blocksignal

Hello does anyone know what the status is for the SU-99 going from Little Ferry to Binghamton as of today? I went to Ridgefield Park last Friday and this past Monday and there was no action at all on that line. I am aware of the partial bridge collapse that occurred back on July 28th a little ways south of the station. The tracks are getting quite rusty down there. Freight cars in that Ridgefield Park/Bogota yard still haven't moved of recent. So I presume they are doing some sort of detour and have been since the incident. I went up to Midland Park this past Tuesday and spoke with an employee at the Hot Dog Caboose. He told me that he had seen a long freight train with 3 or 4 locomotives heading westbound between approximately 6 PM and 6:30 PM just this past Monday. So the SU-99 is apparently running on its own tracks at that location and on northward (Westbound). The only two ways I know of that they could reach that location is:

1) Going up the NJT Main Line to the interchange between NJT and NYS&W in Hawthorne. They would have to access their own tracks coming up track #2 of the NJT Main.

2) Going up the NJT Bergen County line up track #1 and then switching over from that line to their line at Passaic Junction. The only snag with that is they would have to do a reverse move down that interconnect crossing Midland Avenue and then they could proceed forward heading Westbound on their tracks from that point on.

Also are they still on a M-W-F schedule and what time are they getting up to Hawthorne (if NJT Main detour) or Saddlebrook (if NJT BC Detour)?

Would there be any other ways for them to be on their own tracks by the time they go through Midland Park? I can't think of any others and I checked Google maps and Google Satellite quite thoroughly.

Any info at all would be helpful. Thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #1489829  by ClearlyDiverging

blocksignal wrote:Hello does anyone know what the status is for the SU-99 going from Little Ferry to Binghamton as of today? I went to Ridgefield Park last Friday and this past Monday and there was no action at all on that line. I am aware of the partial bridge collapse that occurred back on July 28th a little ways south of the station. The tracks are getting quite rusty down there. Freight cars in that Ridgefield Park/Bogota yard still haven't moved of recent. So I presume they are doing some sort of detour and have been since the incident. I went up to Midland Park this past Tuesday and spoke with an employee at the Hot Dog Caboose. He told me that he had seen a long freight train with 3 or 4 locomotives heading westbound between approximately 6 PM and 6:30 PM just this past Monday. So the SU-99 is apparently running on its own tracks at that location and on northward (Westbound). The only two ways I know of that they could reach that location is:

1) Going up the NJT Main Line to the interchange between NJT and NYS&W in Hawthorne. They would have to access their own tracks coming up track #2 of the NJT Main.

2) Going up the NJT Bergen County line up track #1 and then switching over from that line to their line at Passaic Junction. The only snag with that is they would have to do a reverse move down that interconnect crossing Midland Avenue and then they could proceed forward heading Westbound on their tracks from that point on.

Also are they still on a M-W-F schedule and what time are they getting up to Hawthorne (if NJT Main detour) or Saddlebrook (if NJT BC Detour)?

Would there be any other ways for them to be on their own tracks by the time they go through Midland Park? I can't think of any others and I checked Google maps and Google Satellite quite thoroughly.

Any info at all would be helpful. Thanks.

Blocksignal.
The SU-99/100's are originating and terminating in the Passaic Junction yard. So they are using the usual routing over the southern division, just a few miles shorter for the time being. The bridge over the Hackensack River has been embargoed for structural reasons. This is why you're seeing no activity in Ridgefield Park. ETA on repairs is sometime later this fall.
 #1491641  by blocksignal

Thanks ClearlyDiverging. I did manage to catch the SU-99 on Friday 10/26/2018. It was being made up by the local crew at Passaic (PC) Junction in Saddle Brook then was switched onto the mainline awaiting the road crew to take it North (westbound) to Binghamton. The local crew finished up by around 4 PM. The power was CSX #9037, CSX #4589 (Spirit Of Nashville), and NYS&W #3808. A very interesting power lash-up especially for the SU-99. I went up to Midland Park to catch it pass through where that HoT Dog Caboose is located. It came on through a little after 6 PM. The total car count was 32 freight cars.

Blocksignal.
 #1498974  by airman00

It’ll be a shame to lose another NJ rail customer! NJ rail customers really starting to get scarce especially here in northern NJ!
 #1499078  by CentralValleyRail

airman00 wrote:It’ll be a shame to lose another NJ rail customer! NJ rail customers really starting to get scarce especially here in northern NJ!
'
Read on another thread that someone at NYSW said they weren't an active customer... Not sure how true that is...
blocksignal wrote:Thanks ClearlyDiverging. I did manage to catch the SU-99 on Friday 10/26/2018. It was being made up by the local crew at Passaic (PC) Junction in Saddle Brook then was switched onto the mainline awaiting the road crew to take it North (westbound) to Binghamton. The local crew finished up by around 4 PM. The power was CSX #9037, CSX #4589 (Spirit Of Nashville), and NYS&W #3808. A very interesting power lash-up especially for the SU-99. I went up to Midland Park to catch it pass through where that HoT Dog Caboose is located. It came on through a little after 6 PM. The total car count was 32 freight cars.

Blocksignal.
So is CSX running the equipment/trains from Secaucus Area up to Passaic Jct, and NYSW is taking over there?
 #1499148  by waldwickrailfan

CentralValleyRail wrote:
airman00 wrote:It’ll be a shame to lose another NJ rail customer! NJ rail customers really starting to get scarce especially here in northern NJ!
'
Read on another thread that someone at NYSW said they weren't an active customer... Not sure how true that is...
blocksignal wrote:Thanks ClearlyDiverging. I did manage to catch the SU-99 on Friday 10/26/2018. It was being made up by the local crew at Passaic (PC) Junction in Saddle Brook then was switched onto the mainline awaiting the road crew to take it North (westbound) to Binghamton. The local crew finished up by around 4 PM. The power was CSX #9037, CSX #4589 (Spirit Of Nashville), and NYS&W #3808. A very interesting power lash-up especially for the SU-99. I went up to Midland Park to catch it pass through where that HoT Dog Caboose is located. It came on through a little after 6 PM. The total car count was 32 freight cars.

Blocksignal.
So is CSX running the equipment/trains from Secaucus Area up to Passaic Jct, and NYSW is taking over there?
At the moment, CSX is interchanging all traffic east of Overpeck arbor CP3. Anything west is interchanged in Syracuse, and brought down on the SU100.

Marcal was an active customer, getting 8-10 cars per week.
 #1507062  by blocksignal

Good morning can someone tell me if the SU-99 is still being put together up at Passaic Junction in Saddle Brook or are they back down in that Bogota/Ridgefield Park Yard between Cross Street & Vernon Avenue? Also is their schedule back to normal? And are they still heading up to Binghamton M-W-F? Thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #1507218  by blocksignal

Hi I need to make a slight edit & correction to my last post. It's not Vernon Avenue but Mt. Vernon Street. My mistake. I know that street is right by the Ridgefield Park Station in Ridgefield Park.

Blocksignal.
 #1535352  by riffian

This month's (March) Railpace Magazine is reporting that SU100/99 have gone to a twice a week schedule, Sunday/Wednesday and Monday/Thursday. Can anyone confirm? The piece noted "to provide better customer service" - huh??? Not sure how less frequent operation provides better customer service.
 #1562404  by riffian

Any updates on operation? Are they still terminating at Passaic Junction???...Still on twice weekly schedule? Any updates on current operations would be greatly appreciated.
 #1596742  by blocksignal

Hi All. A bit of a late post here. I went down to the Bogota/Ridgefield Park area a week ago (Friday 4/22/2022) to see if I could catch the SU-99 and there was none. I am guessing they are still on a Monday & Thursday schedule heading up to Binghamton. NY?

I did see 2 NYS&W locals however although I'm not sure of their symbol designations. The first one pulled out of the Bogota/Ridgefield Park yard heading westbound at about 3:45 PM with NS Lifesaver Locomotive #5336 with a consist of 6 freight cars. About 3 hours later a 2nd local pulled out of the yard heading westbound with CSX locomotive #2651 with a consist of 12 freight cars.

My one question is does anyone know if and/or when the SU-99 will be going back to a M-W-F schedule?

Blocksignal.