Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1506421  by A215

gokeefe wrote:As best I know Boise Cascade was the last operator of the Rumford Mill to own any of their rail rolling stock. Boise Cascade sold to Meade in 1996 (23 years ago).
Catalyst had big Plate F boxcars coming and going all the time, reporting mark SRY I believe.
 #1506424  by 690

gokeefe wrote:Quite possibly one of the more interesting editions of PORU in the last ten or twenty years ... Why is that you say? ... New cars with reporting mark NDPX parked in the Rumford Yard this afternoon. The linked video confirms that my vision is not failing. Bonus in the video also includes a string of regularly sighted railroad owned coal hoppers (BM or MEC marks).

If my supposition is correct "NDPX" would be ND Paper ... Even more interesting these are gondola cars. Purpose is unknown but shipping tire chips or other solid fuels seems within the realm of possibility. Here are some photos of what would appear to be the same large green hopper cars in service on "The Bay Line" whose name they still carry. Notable that it would appear these cars had wood chips in them.

As best I know Boise Cascade was the last operator of the Rumford Mill to own any of their rail rolling stock. Boise Cascade sold to Meade in 1996 (23 years ago).
Correct that NDPX is Nine Dragons Paper. They are loaded with shredded tires, likely replacing the NS hi-side gons that had been coming up there. These cars are huge, 8253' cap, almost 70' long, Plate Fs. It'll be an interesting time spotting these on 2 Log to be unloaded, there were twelve on that PORU, normally they only come up a couple at a time.
 #1506439  by Tom M

Earlier this afternoon, and before I saw this post, an eastbound through Dover had four or five of these gondolas. I, too, was squinting to see the reporting marks.
 #1506445  by gokeefe

A215 wrote:Catalyst had big Plate F boxcars coming and going all the time, reporting mark SRY I believe.
Interesting report. Wiki believes that SRY is Southern Railway of British Columbia which given Catalyst's Western Canadian roots makes perfect sense.

I almost answered "NS" (Southern Railway) as holder of "SRY" but that is most definitely not the case.
 #1506493  by 690

Just regular gons, the MEC 1100 and BM 9000 series cars.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1506607  by gokeefe

690 wrote:Correct that NDPX is Nine Dragons Paper. They are loaded with shredded tires, likely replacing the NS hi-side gons that had been coming up there. These cars are huge, 8253' cap, almost 70' long, Plate Fs. It'll be an interesting time spotting these on 2 Log to be unloaded, there were twelve on that PORU, normally they only come up a couple at a time.
Appreciate the confirmation. Several were being unloaded today. Agreed these really are enormous cars. They seem bigger than the previous NS gondola cars.
 #1507057  by gokeefe

GP40MC1118 wrote:The only thing odd about it is that its clean and not tagged!
Still curious how it could be that a Montana Rail Link customer would be buying mill products from either Jay or Rumford. Alternately what's out there that could be coming here?

That's quite the journey for a single box car.