Railroad Forums 

• Regional rail to Pottstown

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1506947  by mcgrath618

https://www.dailylocal.com/news/higher- ... 1c1b3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, you can’t say they’re not trying.

Apparently the plan is to have 6 trains (3 in the morning and three in the evening) running on leased dual-power locomotives. They seem to have their funding all sorted out, and the hardest part now is just getting past Norfolk Southern.
 #1506960  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote:https://www.dailylocal.com/news/higher- ... 1c1b3.html

Well, you can’t say they’re not trying.

Apparently the plan is to have 6 trains (3 in the morning and three in the evening) running on leased dual-power locomotives. They seem to have their funding all sorted out, and the hardest part now is just getting past Norfolk Southern.
This sounds quite viable compared to the KOP extension of the Norristown High Speed Line.

The hardest problem is where are they going to lease dual-power locomotives. It is not like there are a lot of them sitting around at NJT or Exo to lease to SEPTA.
 #1507007  by JeffK

rcthompson04 wrote:This sounds quite viable compared to the KOP extension of the Norristown High Speed Line.
IMHO the two projects aren’t really comparable, though. Phoenixville is proposing a train that’s essentially traditional commuter rail, with initial service aimed mostly at rush-hour commuters. A good part of the NHSL extension's initial ridership is expected to be employees of retail and entertainment businesses that operate over more hours and multiple shifts, meaning it has to be more metro-like and run both more frequently and outside of standard rush hours.

Maybe I’m misreading the two proposals but I don’t see a lot of overlap between them. Even it were somehow feasible to run regular shuttle buses from the proposed Mancill Mill stop to the Mall, it seems unlikely the Phoenixville line could substitute for the NHSL spur. That said, there’s gotta be some way to get the spur's price tag under control....
 #1507026  by rcthompson04

JeffK wrote:
rcthompson04 wrote:This sounds quite viable compared to the KOP extension of the Norristown High Speed Line.
IMHO the two projects aren’t really comparable, though. Phoenixville is proposing a train that’s essentially traditional commuter rail, with initial service aimed mostly at rush-hour commuters. A good part of the NHSL extension's initial ridership is expected to be employees of retail and entertainment businesses that operate over more hours and multiple shifts, meaning it has to be more metro-like and run both more frequently and outside of standard rush hours.

Maybe I’m misreading the two proposals but I don’t see a lot of overlap between them. Even it were somehow feasible to run regular shuttle buses from the proposed Mancill Mill stop to the Mall, it seems unlikely the Phoenixville line could substitute for the NHSL spur. That said, there’s gotta be some way to get the spur's price tag under control....
I would agree they are not comparable, but one is far more realistic than the other is my point. I agree the KOP spur project and its cost estimates make it hard to take SEPTA seriously.
 #1507029  by JeffK

The problem's larger than SEPTA. Bloated costs are threatening a number of transit projects around the country. I’m not a transit professional but I do follow both the general press and some industry publications. So far I haven’t seen anything to indicate any response beyond a lot of hand-wringing.
 #1507044  by rcthompson04

JeffK wrote:The problem's larger than SEPTA. Bloated costs are threatening a number of transit projects around the country. I’m not a transit professional but I do follow both the general press and some industry publications. So far I haven’t seen anything to indicate any response beyond a lot of hand-wringing.
This is not just public transit, but transportation in general.
 #1507260  by NorthPennLimited

I noticed in the capital budget/ building for the future wish list, the Board added “ventilation system in the center city rail tunnel”. Maybe that is to accommodate diesels in the future or am I thinking too far outside the box?

See Page 38
http://www.septa.org/strategic-plan/rep ... oposal.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sidebar: Looking at page 25 of the report, $31.5 million was spent rehabilitating Wayne Junction. The construction firm who was awarded that bid did a poor job on the platform construction on the outbound side. For months, there have been orange cones warning passengers of where the platform surface is heaving and cracking. It’s only 4 years old!
 #1507353  by glennk419

The next phase of US 422 reconstruction was just on the news yesterday. This will further restrict travel over the next several years and by the time it's all done, they will need to start over. Maybe they are finally getting serious about restoring rail service to Pottstown and hopefully beyond.
 #1507383  by NorthPennLimited

Good point Glenn. I’m surprised DVARP never considered restoring the Perkiomen Branch to service Oaks, the pharmaceutical office parks near Arcola and the sprawl in Collegeville. The branch could connect with service to Norristown and relieve pressure off 422 for commuters and reverse commuters to the big pharma jobs.

Oaks could serve as a park and ride option for 422 commuters to center city
 #1508043  by dowlingm

The hardest problem is where are they going to lease dual-power locomotives. It is not like there are a lot of them sitting around at NJT or Exo to lease to SEPTA.
wait under January 2020 when Exo will be kicked off the Mont Royal Tunnel completely. Exo's fleet needs might look a bit different then.
 #1520406  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am https://patch.com/pennsylvania/phoenixv ... enger-rail
Its not discussed, but it sounds like they are attempting to get Norfolk Southern to play ball by moving a station to a straight stretch of track. Not sure of anything short of adding a third track is going to get them to play ball though.

In terms of the cost, equipment should not be a huge cost as SEPTA is already purchasing new passenger cars and would only need to buy 5-6 dual mode locomotives. How many new cars would SEPTA need for a dual mode locomotive hauled operation?
 #1520412  by mcgrath618

rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:34 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am https://patch.com/pennsylvania/phoenixv ... enger-rail
Its not discussed, but it sounds like they are attempting to get Norfolk Southern to play ball by moving a station to a straight stretch of track. Not sure of anything short of adding a third track is going to get them to play ball though.

In terms of the cost, equipment should not be a huge cost as SEPTA is already purchasing new passenger cars and would only need to buy 5-6 dual mode locomotives. How many new cars would SEPTA need for a dual mode locomotive hauled operation?
I'm pretty sure that Phoenixville is actually fronting the cost for the lease of 3 dual modes from AMT. I assume that SEPTA is going to use Comets, as they probably would want the bi-levels elsewhere.

If what I've been told is true, it'll be three trips both ways every day. So 3 trains, which need 3 engines, and probably 4-5 cars depending on demand, so 12-15 cars. Once the Bi-levels are in they'll certainly be able to spare that.
 #1520413  by Backshophoss

SEPTA will NOT Buy AL 45DP's. SEPTA will NOT Buy Passenger diesels. NS will not Allow catenary.
SEPTA will not operate any kind of Diesel commuter service,they shed all diesel ops ages ago.
Their internal mindset is electric service that exists currently!
 #1520425  by mcgrath618

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 pm NS will not Allow catenary.
Why not? The Trenton Sub on CSX handles all traffic just fine.

And you’re right. SEPTA isn’t buying any ALPs. Phoenixville is leading them :)