Railroad Forums 

• LIRR seeks to lease 8-21 MARC coaches (for Montauk Summer)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1474202  by DutchRailnut

The C-1's were orphans , most of electric gear was based on M1 and M3's for door and controls etc. the cars were 32 volt and everything has to be converted.
the C-3's are 64 volt . the conversion for them to work together would have cost a lot .
 #1474285  by Bad Luck

The 259 & 266 were the primary units with 251 & 269 also equipped to be easily retrofitted with the MU couplers just in case. The 38s could couple straight to the coaches, with the 3100 there purely for HEP.

After the arrival of the FL9s, 3100 made its way onto other trains for the same purpose, but would operate with a non-HEP conversion E15 in addition to the road power.
 #1474466  by mkm4

Backshophoss wrote:The "question" should have been; could the C-1's been upgraded to work with the C-3's?
By the end, the C-1s were in horrible condition and as Dutch mentioned used a different electrical system. It was going to cost more to upgrade and fix them then to just buy new C-3s.
 #1474515  by LINYARailfan

Like I had said before there may not be any coaches available for the LIRR since NJ Transit got them before the LIRR did. My prediction is that its going to be a long hot summer for commuters on the Oyster Bay and Port Jefferson branch customers Fridays and certain holidays since there are not any coaches available for lease. And don't count on the LIRR submitting a RFP for purchasing additional coaches to run with the C3s and DE/DM30s since the LIRR is in the process of purchasing the M9s as we speak.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Wed May 30, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Nesting Quote or Quote of Immediately Preceding Post
 #1474518  by DutchRailnut

Marc has plenty :
MARC IIA:
16 coaches
11 cab cars

MARC IIB;
28 coaches
6 cab cars

Also what does purchasing M-9 EMU's have to do with purchasing Diesel equipment ??
 #1474521  by LINYARailfan

I must have spoke too soon. Forget the M9 EMUs in my last post; that was irrelevant and off topic. My mistake. What I am trying to imply is that the LIRR a) doesn't have the funding in their budget or b) simply doesn't want to spend the money to purchase or lease additional coaches? My guess is "b)" that they don't want to spend the money but again I could be wrong?
 #1506639  by LINYARailfan

I know I haven't posted on this post in a long time but what is the plan for the LIRR this summer for their C3 fleet? Will the LIRR be leasing coaches from MARC this summer for use to free up the C3s? If not what will be the plan if they are not getting any coaches from MARC?
Which trains on the Oyster Bay and/or Port Jefferson branches "will not operate" on Fridays from May 24th-August 30th?
Also what was the actual reason as to why MARC had to break the lease agreement with the LIRR last year-If I recall correctly wasn't the LIRR supposed to be getting two additional eight car sets from MARC?
Can anyone confirm?