Railroad Forums 

• Geneva Jct on the LV

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1506067  by nydepot

This was on ebay from 1949. I've seen a photo of the tower but I'm not recalling seeing a "one story replacement." Anyone have a photo they can post or point to? Thanks.
GenevaJct1949.jpg
 #1506113  by BR&P

This is not certain, but I thought I heard somewhere that they converted the bottom part of the structure - the basement if you want to call it that - to a signal bungalow of sorts. Or maybe I was thinking of somewhere else.

IIRC there was an article about VJ in an old issue of FD&S which was put out by.....Anthracite Ry Historical Society???? Maybe someone here has that and can see if it was mentioned in there.
 #1506146  by TB Diamond

BR&P is correct in that the Geneva Jct. tower basement was roofed over and converted to contain the circuitry for the power switch machines and related signals at the junction after the discontinuation of the interlocking tower.

Originally the track diagram and interlocking controls for Geneva Jct. were located in the Geneva passenger station. Later those controls were relocated to the Geneva yard office. When CTC was installed Geneva Jct. interlocking was controlled by the operator at Sayre Telegraph which was located in the Sayre passenger station.
 #1506174  by lvrr325

I was inside what was left of that in 1995-ish, it was in decent shape still, all concrete, even some old relay parts laying around. You had to walk in a long ways to get to it, which is probably why. I can't tell from current aerials if it's still there, the signal bridge is so maybe, no real reason to knock it down, although it could be more filled in now.

And yes I thought then it was just a foundation to a raised building which is probably why no pictures. It was partially covered with ballast but had a door and maybe a window too. Been too long. The tracks are on an embankment there, and the first floor was about level with the tracks, the track side buried in the embankment, the other side accessible.
 #1506184  by BR&P

LV VJ Eng 1150 & train.jpg
LV VJ Eng 1150 & train.jpg (170.21 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
LV VJ Aerial #1.jpg
LV VJ Aerial #1.jpg (529.23 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
 #1506212  by nydepot

Thanks, BR&P. So this one appears to show the one story basement tower.
BR&P wrote:
LV VJ Aerial #1.jpg