Railroad Forums 

• MANHATTAN BEACH RAILROAD COMPANY

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1505816  by newkirk

Some remnansts of the Manhattan Beach Railroad I photographed in the 80's
First image: The concrete retaining wall by the Neck Rd station of the (Q) line.
Second & Third images: At the (B)(Q) Sheepshead Bay station.
Looking through the chain link fence in the foreground, you'll see the concrete fence posts of the MBRR and not the BRT.
 #1505872  by Publius Plunkett

I have a question please. West of Nostrand, at the mouth of the tunnel is the walled up entrance/exit of the old Manhattan Beach Branch. In the 'ole days when it was in operation, did the Branch run at street level in that area or up onto an El?

Regarding the 1980's photo of the of the retaining wall...how old is this infrastructure? They still have fences posts from the MBRR?
 #1505915  by krispy

Publius Plunkett wrote:I have a question please. West of Nostrand, at the mouth of the tunnel is the walled up entrance/exit of the old Manhattan Beach Branch. In the 'ole days when it was in operation, did the Branch run at street level in that area or up onto an El?
That siding may have served the Armory at Bedford and Atlantic. Back in the day it was a regiment sized armory and would've merited a spur. I've wondered about the connection too, but if that portal was it, it would've had to travel beneath the armory and then go a couple of blocks to get to the other line, or wouldn't the connection have been farther east on the Atlantic Branch? Also, did the connection exist after the grade crossing elimination project?
 #1505967  by newkirk

[quote]Publius Plunkett wrote: Regarding the 1980's photo of the of the retaining wall...how old is this infrastructure? They still have fences posts from the MBRR?

I don't know how old that retaining wall is. However, there were a few concrete fence posts remaining as of those photos I posted. IIRC, there was one or two of them at the north end of the Sheepshead Bay station by the MTA line. Maybe I'll check this out on Saturday
 #1506548  by newkirk

Updated photos on this subject.
Image #1 - Notice the older builder with cornice.
This is where the MBRR ran past. The building to the right was built long after the railroad quit.
Image #2 - Same scene but set back to reveal the path of the ROW.
Image #3 - Looking towards Ave. Z, the original ROW untouched for years. There are still concrete fence posts in those weeds.

Below is a link to a satellite view of the ROW

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sheep ... 73.9552308
 #1506554  by Publius Plunkett

I found an interesting NY Times article about the Manhattan Beach Branch, from 2011...

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/nyre ... Position=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may or may not be able to view it. Regardless, it seems that homeowners were suing the MTA in order to obtain a clear title to the remaining property abutting their properties. There hasn't been a train back there since 1924 and the MTA has openly stated that it has no plans to reopen service to Manhattan Beach, so they might win. I was trying to find how this lawsuit was resolved. Can anyone enlighten us?