Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1504922  by backroadrails

[quote="KSmitty"]Irving dropped ST's at Brownville for CM&Q Saturday, and Pan Am delivered the entire WANM to CM&Q at NMJ on Sunday. Whether temporary until the derailment is repaired or permanent remains to be seen.
From what I have heard, it should be permanent, word on the street suggests that Old Town will no longer be a place where crews are based out of in the near future. By the sounds they are looking at placing a construction job site style trailer at NMJ.
 #1505103  by MEC407

Videos by Maine Train Chaser:

NMWA 04-05-2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6m6TGICn3I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WANM 04-05-2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcYrQDZpDU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1505106  by KSmitty

backroadrails wrote:From what I have heard, it should be permanent, word on the street suggests that Old Town will no longer be a place where crews are based out of in the near future. By the sounds they are looking at placing a construction job site style trailer at NMJ.
Ive heard the bit about the trailer at NMJ, but I dont think its an indicator of the persistence of the line closure. Operationally the E/E has been based out of NM and a lot of time is wasted in taxis since the base is 20 miles east.

They have worked out some sort of agreement with CMQ for power, with 7534 being handed off to CMQ last week.

Even still, I don't think the line closure will last to the end of the year, probably just through track season...
 #1505123  by A215

KSmitty wrote:
Even still, I don't think the line closure will last to the end of the year, probably just through track season...
I heard a rumor this was over potential new business requiring 286k cars. Supposedly testing handling them through CMQ since Keag-NMJ is not fit for that weight. If it goes well possibility of 286k upgrade while it's out of use.
 #1505131  by KSmitty

Thats similar to what I've heard.

I've heard the closure of the line was to facilitate B&B crews working on the line this summer to complete a number of bridge upgrades to clear the line for 286K. This way traffic isn't interrupted and work windows don't have to be scheduled. This theory would also fit nicely with the originally planned 4/15 routing change as thats right around the start of work season. Whether this holds true or not, only time will tell...
 #1505151  by QB 52.32

newpylong wrote:Any GRS and Conrail deal is irrelevant to this conversation.

In the mid 2000s we had not one but THREE trains between Deerfield and Rigby. I think anyone can do the math that not all of that traffic was CP/NS. If you can't, take it from someone who dealt with the train consists on a daily basis. Also, until PAS was formed we used to send a lot of loaded paper out District 4 (at the time) via Rotterdam to CSXT. When you got on a westbound full of CSX's somewhere in the Lowell area - you never knew if you were going straight in Ayer or going down the Worcester Main. There was little differentiation between either interchange.

When PAS was formed, it changed overnight. PAS was another carrier, was way-billed as such, and there were switching fees associated in Deerfield. All loads out of Maine to CSXT quickly moved over to Barbers overnight. Yes, the 50% part of PAS shot itself in the foot, but it's focus was on PAS not being a bridge.
The GRS/CR deal is relevant because, to your point and the point of this discussion about PAR overhead traffic, it formed the overwhelming rule of the relationship between ST and CR/CSXT when it comes to RIgby/North-hubbed traffic for close to 30 years, as opposed to the Rotterdam Jct. exception you've pointed out here and at various times during the past 10 years. Barbers Station has been by far the preferred junction for shippers and in the relationship between CSX and GRS/PAR. Even so, CSX has an important relationship with PAS for non-intermodal/auto traffic, including with some overhead traffic to ST, no? So, in that vein it was quite possible to simply cut PAS into the routing without a net increase of divisions via Rotterdam Jct. if that's what CSX wanted. Even during those exceptions you've noted, as I recall you also noted the large portion of traffic that was moving to Mohawk as opposed to Rotterdam Jct., shipper-driven routing, and operational reasons driving at least some of this.

When it comes to possibly permanently shifting PAR/MNR & NBSR interchange to CMQ haulage via NMJ, given the risks and benefits, seems to be a reasonable option especially in light of the fact that Maine is one of the states with the lowest amount of traffic per rail mile, if not the lowest. While that position is somewhat offset by an originating-carload-based rail industry, consolidating traffic largely driven by overhead movements off ~45 miles of deficient railroad seems reasonable, if not prudent.
 #1505169  by jaymac

BAR-
If you enter "New Bond Street, Worcester, MA" in your map source of choice and go east to where New Bond ends at West Boylston Street/Rte. 12, you'll see the PAR Worcester Main Line. To the south -- TT west -- the PW line to Gardner splits off, that PW line connecting with CSXT at CP45. Recent practice has been for CSX crews to run to and from Ayer from Burncoat, a bit further north -- TT east -- at Burncoat Street, to MP X25, just south -- TT west -- of the Ayer yard on PAR/Guilford-issued Form Ds, making the physicall interchange at Ayer instead of Barbers, routing and billing to the contrary.
 #1505333  by 690

It's going to Arc, or whatever the name is; they used to be located on the Madison Branch until that shut down. The cars are dropped in the siding at Dixfield.
 #1505480  by MEC407

Wreck Train 04-08-2019: https://youtu.be/6wjB4JhmwoY?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video by Maine Train Chaser
 #1506379  by gokeefe

Quite possibly one of the more interesting editions of PORU in the last ten or twenty years ... Why is that you say? ... New cars with reporting mark NDPX parked in the Rumford Yard this afternoon. The linked video confirms that my vision is not failing. Bonus in the video also includes a string of regularly sighted railroad owned coal hoppers (BM or MEC marks).

If my supposition is correct "NDPX" would be ND Paper ... Even more interesting these are gondola cars. Purpose is unknown but shipping tire chips or other solid fuels seems within the realm of possibility. Here are some photos of what would appear to be the same large green hopper cars in service on "The Bay Line" whose name they still carry. Notable that it would appear these cars had wood chips in them.

As best I know Boise Cascade was the last operator of the Rumford Mill to own any of their rail rolling stock. Boise Cascade sold to Meade in 1996 (23 years ago).