Railroad Forums 

• West Shore painting-Clarence, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1504605  by SST

Finally getting this posted. I'm such a procrastinator! The photo was taken along Main St [rt5] in Clarence, NY. The number on the locomotive is the actual address/location of this painting which is also the WSRR ROW.

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZFwdkYC/WSRR-Clarence.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1505241  by Fireman43

This is a pretty neat mural .
I have a historical picture of a treasle in the same area of the Asa Ransom House on this same ROW that I am having trouble posting.
The caption indicates on the trestle is in the background of the old " Ebersol Mill" with a silo in the foreground. I do not believe this is part of the bridge over Ransom Road but need to take a ride over to try and find.

In regards to difficulty trying to post a picture - same issue I've run against before. I'm tryin to pick a picture out of my phone as a file attachment and I get an error message. I don't believe a size issue. Even when I tried to copy and paste the picture - a no go. However no problems when i try to copy to a regular email.

?????
thanks

Mark
 #1505450  by SST

Fireman43 wrote:This is a pretty neat mural .
I have a historical picture of a treasle in the same area of the Asa Ransom House on this same ROW that I am having trouble posting.
The caption indicates on the trestle is in the background of the old " Ebersol Mill" with a silo in the foreground. I do not believe this is part of the bridge over Ransom Road but need to take a ride over to try and find.

In regards to difficulty trying to post a picture - same issue I've run against before. I'm tryin to pick a picture out of my phone as a file attachment and I get an error message. I don't believe a size issue. Even when I tried to copy and paste the picture - a no go. However no problems when i try to copy to a regular email.

?????
thanks

Mark
I have walked this area and ride my bike on the WS trail all the time. The spur into the mill still exists. You can walk the first 1/3rd of it but the remaining 2/3rd crosses private property of which I didn't walk on. The spur is between the park and Ransom Rd. You won't necessarily see it until you actually walk past it and then the row becomes visible. Very treed in. But I did drive around to the entrance off of Main St and it takes you right to the remains of the concrete "something." Silo storage/dumper?" Pretty cool to view but its a very tight area and I didn't remain there for more than a minute. Private property issues. Don't want to disturb the nest.

As for the trestle over Ransom Rd....I had always hoped that "they" would leave it in place. But they pulled it out and eventually replaced it with a pedestrian bridge. It's certain better than nothing at all.

As for posting pictures, here's what I use now. This RR site is annoying when trying to post pictures. Either its to big or the latest..."can't find it." So I just post the link.....

https://postimages.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1505527  by BR&P

Here's the photo Mark is having trouble posting. Neat pic, Mark! I would love to see the whole place when it was working.
For RR net Mark Heard.jpeg
For RR net Mark Heard.jpeg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
 #1505550  by Fireman43

Thanks for posting. Credit for picture goes to Clarence Historical Society.
When SST mentioned the area is pretty overtreed that explains why I can’t find anything via aerial view.

Now I have to figure out that picture image app.

Mark
 #1505569  by Fireman43

IMG_2461.jpg
IMG_2461.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
ok making head way on posting a picture. this is posted from my laptop - was tryin to post others directly from my iPhone.

Slowly but Shirley.

This location is close to the Mural originally posted by SST. From what i can determine i believe the loco is numbered #3816.

Mark
 #1505585  by BR&P

Clarence had a wye at one time. The late Frank Suhr told of working the Freedom Train, he thought it was 1946 but was not certain. At any rate they turned on the wye there. (Damn it - I should have clarified whether they turned the engine, or the whole train! Too late now! :( )
 #1505595  by Fireman43

I need to take a trip over to the Historical Society as it appears they would have a lot of pics ,
Then I’ve run out of excuses as the society building is right there in the ‘Hollow”

Mark
 #1506728  by SST

Rode the bike on the WS path and decided to check out the mill.....Still standing but in really bad shape. Somebody had better start spending money cuz the wooden sections of the trestle are near collapse. Tower looks good.

https://postimg.cc/fVMNJ5V1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WS row is to the right out of sight.
 #1510599  by Fanatic5

In addition to the West Shore mural, the West Shore Brewing company is celebrating its 2nd Anniversary with a festival on June 29, 2019. The brewery pays tribute to the West Shore Railroad, with several photos and artifacts in the facility. It is located less than a mile from the mural in Clarence.