Railroad Forums 

• New Hartford Branch

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1504168  by CVRA7

After most of the CNE was abandoned around 1938, about 3/4 mile of ex CNE main line, including the bridge over the brook and a couple of streets was retained to service a former CNE customer or two in New Hartford, near the station location. Not sure how long this lasted.
 #1514546  by CVRA7

In recent weeks construction in the area of the former CNE bridge at New Hartford has partially exposed the west abutment, hidden for many years under brush and dirt. This was the side of the bridge that a 2-horse carriage tried to cross the bridge and failed at some point around WW1.
 #1518914  by TCurtin

Ridgefielder wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:22 pm
I believe the big customer in later years was Collins Axe in Collinsville, 6 miles down the road. They manufactured axes, sledgehammers and such.

The New Hartford branch lasted into Penn Central days. The CNE was abandoned in the 1930's.
The branch beyond Collinsville was pretty well destroyed by Hurricane Diane in 1955 and never restored, Service was restored as far as Collinsville.
I have some doubts that the branch lasted into PC but I won't definitely assert that.
 #1519052  by J.D. Lang

The branch to Collinsville came off of the Canal line in Unionville. My guess is it was abandoned in the early 60's.
 #1519092  by TomNelligan

Per Ronald Dale Karr's comprehensive route history The Rail Lines of Southern New England, the Collinsville branch was abandoned in 1968.
 #1521775  by krispy

Wasn't Collinsville considered for one of the sites of the future Essex Steam RR? I believe they met resistance from the area at the time and so settled in Essex. I have family who settled in Collinsville and am glad to see the RR bridge preserved as a rail trail a short distance from the factory complex over the river, a great walk (not a bad fishing spot too) if you're in the area...