Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific Welded Rail from China/Japan

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1502230  by freightguy

A few years ago “TRAINS Magazine” had an article about UP getting its ribbon welded rail from a ship via Japan/China. Now the Chinese tariffs they move production back to North America.

With a company with a United States shield logo why would they have their rail rolled in a foreign land to begin with? I was disappointed to read that a few years back. Especially with all the steel still produced in the Unites States...
 #1502270  by chrisf

freightguy wrote:A few years ago “TRAINS Magazine” had an article about UP getting its ribbon welded rail from a ship via Japan/China. Now the Chinese tariffs they move production back to North America.

With a company with a United States shield logo why would they have their rail rolled in a foreign land to begin with? I was disappointed to read that a few years back. Especially with all the steel still produced in the Unites States...
I’m pretty sure there’s an existing thread about this on the forum, but there isn’t a mill in the US who can make the long rails UP wants. https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/in ... 7-2015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;