Railroad Forums 

• Baltimore MD

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1287770  by urmomsman

Does anyone know how many trains on CSX are crewed by Baltimore based crews? I have read elsewhere that a good number of road trains that used to be crewed out of Baltimore are now home-crewed out of Philly and Cumberland. I saw on their website that CSX is looking to hire 20 - 30 conductors for Baltimore. Is Baltimore that busy that 20 - 30 new conductors are needed? I know that they have a few yards they service, but I wasn't sure about road trains. I appreciate any responses.
 #1289043  by mmi16

The Baltimore Crews are used for Baltimore-Philadelphia runs and Baltimore-Richmond runs. Runs between Cumberland and Baltimore are filled by Cumberland based crews. Runs between Richmond and Philadelphia are filled by Richmond based crews.

Baltimore based crews fill all yard assignments at Bayview, Locust Point and Curtis Bay yards. CSX crews no longer staff the MARC commuter trains that operate on CSX.
 #1289629  by urmomsman

Thanks for the info. Are they busy enough to warrant all those new hires? Or are they hiring for projected openings?
 #1289736  by mmi16

urmomsman wrote:Thanks for the info. Are they busy enough to warrant all those new hires? Or are they hiring for projected openings?
At present there are crew shortages on all Baltimore Division crew districts. Business is more than the current crew base can handle.
 #1503467  by STrRedWolf

I figure this is worth putting in this thread:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimor ... t/26839449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A freight train derailed Friday afternoon on a bridge in Baltimore, sending some train cars onto the road below.

The train derailed shortly after 3 p.m. on a bridge in the area near North Avenue and Howard Street. Falls Road is closed in the area.

CSX said nine cars derailed and no hazardous materials were involved in the derailment. The derailed cars appear to be empty and do not appear to pose any hazard, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported, police and fire officials said.
 #1503770  by mmi16

STrRedWolf wrote:I figure this is worth putting in this thread:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimor ... t/26839449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A freight train derailed Friday afternoon on a bridge in Baltimore, sending some train cars onto the road below.

The train derailed shortly after 3 p.m. on a bridge in the area near North Avenue and Howard Street. Falls Road is closed in the area.

CSX said nine cars derailed and no hazardous materials were involved in the derailment. The derailed cars appear to be empty and do not appear to pose any hazard, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported, police and fire officials said.
A textbook 'stringline' derailment - long empty cars being pulled around a high degree of curvature being restrained by excessive trailing tonnage while moving upgrade.