Railroad Forums 

• Remnants of the Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1424608  by jaymac

Based on look at the 1903 NE Boston quadrant of the UNH online topos followed by a trip to GEarth, I'd guess that Logan pretty much took care of the remains of pretty much all the BRB&L in Eastie. Mebbe there's a walled in tunnel-mouth by the old ferry slip.
 #1424624  by F-line to Dudley via Park

The north portals are sealed at the Logan perimeter fence that separates Maverick St. from Tomahawk Dr., but the south portals are still very much there inside the Massport boat yard on the midsection of Marginal St. that's behind the Massport security fence. On Google Maps spot the bend in the road on Webster St. and (smaller bend) Marginal St. on the same block. Then trace a diagonal line from those two bends on Marginal/Webster to the Logan rental car garage door turnout on Tomahawk Dr. It should match up perfectly with a series of empty lots on each block of side streets. That's the tunnel footprint. The south portals are hidden behind the Massport row buildings at the bend on Marginal (high security, so can't easily get there!). The north portals are buried behind the Logan sound wall on that little gravel garden thingy next to where Tomahawk dumps into the rental garage. Not much to see in the empty residential lots...it's just fenced-off grass on top of the roof. Supposedly there's some granite blocks visible right near the south portals on Webster in a telltale ditch by the side of the road going into the very back of the Massport property. Street View doesn't show anything because it's a summertime shot, but you might be able to see a little bit more through the brush in winter with no leaves on the trees.
 #1424655  by The EGE

North portal is a couple blocks south of where F-Line said; it's between Everett and Sumner about at the base of the trees here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3661431 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are a few granite blocks left on that vacant lot, but you have to fight your way through the weeds to get there. Not really worth the effort.

South portal is between Marginal and Webster here: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=3a73e12d ... orm=S00027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The left portal (the 1894 bore) is sealed except for an extremely small opening, but in good condition. The right portal is filled with junk and is so dusty that visibility is about 20 feet at most; it's one of the scariest-looking places I have ever seen. Aside from security concerns (I had other business in the boatyard when I took that picture), even getting to the portals requires crossing a lot strewn with broken glass, industrial waste, and nasty thorns, some of which you can see in the foreground of the image. While it's a neat piece of history, it's not one that I recommend attempting to visit.
 #1491122  by BostonUrbEx

A segment of the Winthrop Loop is visible here just below Fort Banks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bank ... 0x1073.jpg

The vantage is from above Belle Isle Marsh. Just barely above the top of the photo and ever so slightly out of frame would have also been another segment of the loop where Veterans Rd is today.