Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Needs to Restore Full Service to the Bethlehem Branch

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1500040  by glennk419

It's being reported that Bieber Bus Lines has shut down leaving Lehigh Valley commuters with no public means of getting into Philadelphia. It's too bad that the railroad isn't still there to fill that void.
 #1500042  by Maverickstation1

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken

ADMIN: added fair-use quote per forum policy
On Friday, many riders were left stranded when the company announced an immediate but temporary shut down, which was followed a few hours later with a notice that it had closed for good. Among those caught off-guard were Easton Area Middle School students on a Blue Mouintain ski trip Friday.
 #1500060  by glennk419

mcgrath618 wrote:Allegedly funds have been allocated towards a feasibility study of returning to Quakertown... probably won't go far though. And that's coming from someone who thinks that the return to Phoenixville has a chance.
The proposed park-n-ride in Shelly would have been an excellent solution.
 #1500179  by JeffK

glennk419 wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:Allegedly funds have been allocated towards a feasibility study of returning to Quakertown... probably won't go far though. And that's coming from someone who thinks that the return to Phoenixville has a chance.
The proposed park-n-ride in Shelly would have been an excellent solution.
AFAIK the ROW above Shelly has been severed. If that memory is correct, full restoration to the Allentown area is highly unlikely. But yes a park-n-ride at Shelly would be a good option.
 #1500198  by glennk419

I know that the rails have been pulled at least to Coopersburg and possibly as far south as California Road. Certainly anything above Lansdale would require an almost full rebuild anyway for commuter service. I believe the only place where the ROW was severed was at the Lutron facility when they built their driveway over the ROW, allegedly illegally. That could easily be rectified if the railroad were ever restored.
 #1500289  by JeffK

glennk419 wrote:I believe the only place where the ROW was severed was at the Lutron facility when they built their driveway over the ROW, allegedly illegally. That could easily be rectified if the railroad were ever restored.
Thanks, Glenn. A bit of welding in my brain gaps is always welcome :P
 #1519814  by Train60

If people want passenger rail to Bethlehem now is the time to speak up en masse in support of rail. If this project doesn't get listed in the the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan then odds are very small that the project will move forward. It's my understanding that federal dollars cannot be used for transportation projects that are not in the Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) of the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan, and most states won't fund rail projects without significant federal dollars.
 #1519818  by rcthompson04

Train60 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am If people want passenger rail to Bethlehem now is the time to speak up en masse in support of rail. If this project doesn't get listed in the the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan then odds are very small that the project will move forward. It's my understanding that federal dollars cannot be used for transportation projects that are not in the Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) of the Regional Long Term Transportation Plan, and most states won't fund rail projects without significant federal dollars.
I think getting anything north of Quakertown is unlikely, which is probably 3rd on the list of restoration targets (with Phoenixville and West Chester ahead of it).