Railroad Forums 

• 2019 Subway Delay Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1496536  by Steve Wagner

The Boston Globe's website posted this story, by John R. Ellement of its staff, a few minutes ago:

"Person struck by train at Fields Corner station; Red Line service suspended

"A person was struck by a train at the MBTA’s Fields Corner station in Dorchester, leading to the suspension of service on the Ashmont line, the T reported around 8:15 a.m. Friday.

"Passengers will be bused between Ashmont station and the JFK/UMass. stop in Dorchester, the T tweeted.

'Ashmont Branch Service suspended due to a person struck by a train at Fields Corner,” The T tweeted. “Service will be bused between JFK and Ashmont. Please expect delays while buses are dispatched.'

"No further information is currently available."
 #1499315  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Additionally,

Green Line service suspended from Park Street to Symphony due to BFD activity at Arlington Station.

Shuttle bus service available to/from Copley and Kenmore.
Service running to/from Gov't Center and Lechmere

B trains terminate at Blandford, C & D terminate at Kenmore, E use route 39 bus
 #1499453  by Type 7 3684

Green Line D Branch service suspended in both directions btw Kenmore and Reservoir due to a derailment at Beaconsfield. Inbound passengers can take a train to Reservoir and walk four minutes to Cleveland Circle to continue.

Edit 10:56 AM:
Update: Green Line D Branch service suspended westbound btw Kenmore and Reservoir due to a derailment at Beaconsfield. Eastbound service is currently operating but with severe delays. Bus shuttles are enroute as well.
 #1499462  by Disney Guy

Have they tried running D trains out onto Beacon St. between Reservoir and Kenmore in the not too distant past if not today?
 #1499502  by MBTA3247

I don't believe the T has ever operated such service. It would require trains to proceed inbound beyond the station, change ends, move onto the connecting track and go through the crossover, and proceed through the intersection with Chestnut Hill Ave and Beacon St. A slow, time-consuming move that only one train could perform at a time.
 #1499515  by CRail

They have done it and there’s no reason they couldn’t, it would take less time than making everyone walk and there’s no reason you couldn’t have more than one car or train make the move at once except for on the diamond crossover in the upper yard itself. There’s no back up move, the cars are double ended, pull east of the Res junction change ends and finish your trip. In a situation like this simply employ a crew to assist changing ends and it would actually run quite smoothly.
 #1499543  by jwhite07

I don't believe the T has ever operated such service. It would require trains to proceed inbound beyond the station, change ends, move onto the connecting track and go through the crossover, and proceed through the intersection with Chestnut Hill Ave and Beacon St. A slow, time-consuming move that only one train could perform at a time.
As CRail mentioned, they can and they have made such moves. I was a passenger on one once. Took only a couple of minutes to change ends and run down the connecting track to Cleveland Circle, and on into town via Beacon Street. Of course it took longer than direct via the Highland Branch, but in the end I got where I was going and didn't have to endure the shuffle on and off a bus to do it.

Depending on where exactly the derailment took place, they might not have had the headroom to make this move during yesterday's event.
 #1499633  by MBTA3247

I sit corrected.
 #1499880  by Type 7 3684

Some sections of Blue Line, Green Line and Orange Line experiencing delays of up to 25 minutes due to a power problem. Some trains may hold at stations.
 #1499913  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Still at this hour.

Some sections of Blue & Orange Lines experiencing delays due to a power problem. Expect additional travel time of 15 minutes.

Power problems affecting central subway sections of system. Biggest delays in areas below. Expect severe delays.

BL: Between Airport & Gov't Ctr

OL: Between Downtown Crossing & N. Station

Last Updated: Feb 08 2019 07:30 PM
 #1500678  by Adams_Umass_Boston

From the Dorchester Reporter

"MBTA trolley and motor vehicle collided this evening at Central Ave in Milton. 3 people taken to Milton Hospital. Trolley service on Ashmont-Mattapan line resumed at 7:18 p.m., per T spokesman. Minor damage to front of trolley and driver side of MV."

https://twitter.com/DotNews/status/1096574853703000065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;