Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1498812  by ryanch

Craziest thing happened this evening at Ogilvie. While waiting on an Ogilvie platform for a delayed train, I heard a female Metra employee come over the intercom and say "The UP North 5:08 train to Kenosha will be boarding on track 14."

I have never, ever, in my life, understood a single word of an announcement at Ogilvie. I thought they used some sort of voice modulation equipment to ensure you not only couldn't understand them, but that you would be uncertain whether it was a human voice. I've heard announcements like "Attempa Metsa patcheters, the 5:82 oboe chain is now hoarding." Like a drunk with hay fever speaking on AM radio when you've driven just beyond the signal radius and you're passing under a major power line.

But here this woman comes on and makes an announcement where you could hear every single word. She may even have been singing. Or perhaps that's just the stellar glow of the memory tricking me.

Either they got a new system. Or they should give this woman a raise and make her the permanent voice of Ogilvie.
 #1498874  by eolesen

I've never had a problem hearing the announcements at track level. In the French Market concourse, maybe not so much...
 #1498903  by MetraBNSF

Heard an announcement yesterday walking through Ogilvie just after 5pm. I believe it was for the same train (UP-N 5:08p departure to Kenosha). The announcement is preceeded by three short audible tones then the announcement is made.

Union Station has been utilizing announcements for a bit now for delayed trains, minus the audible tones right before the announcement. Generally a male would make announcements for the MILW and NCS. A female would make announcements for the BNSF, HC, and SWS.
 #1499095  by Tadman

ryanch wrote:I have never, ever, in my life, understood a single word of an announcement at Ogilvie. I thought they used some sort of voice modulation equipment to ensure you not only couldn't understand them, but that you would be uncertain whether it was a human voice. I've heard announcements like "Attempa Metsa patcheters, the 5:82 oboe chain is now hoarding." Like a drunk with hay fever speaking on AM radio when you've driven just beyond the signal radius and you're passing under a major power line.
Did you ever ride the L in the 80's? The operators were trained to mumble. It was impossible to understand them, I think there was a contest between operators to mumble the most. "MANATANANNNANA-HAI, HHHHWATCHASTEP!!!!"
 #1499732  by spRocket

Tadman wrote:Did you ever ride the L in the 80's? The operators were trained to mumble. It was impossible to understand them, I think there was a contest between operators to mumble the most. "MANATANANNNANA-HAI, HHHHWATCHASTEP!!!!"
And if it wasn't the operator mumbling, it was the snap-crackle-pop audio systems. "Neshhhhht szzzop, Hogan Bear!" was the announcement I heard one time as a Blue Line train approached Logan Square. At least today's automated announcements are intelligible.