Railroad Forums 

• Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Question(s)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1497471  by XC Tower

Hello,
I am seeking information the TH&B after finding out that it interchanged with the Lehigh Valley Railroad At Niagara Falls, NY.
A) Although having no trackage into Buffalo or Toronto, we’re freight and passenger trains run to those two cities? If so, how?
B) Did the TH&B have “named” passenger trains?
C) Did the TH&B have any yard facilities in either Toronto and Buffalo although having no owned trackage into those cities?
D) What other railroads did the TH&B interchange with in those cities?

Thank you any information.

XC
 #1497656  by Ken V

You may find some answers at the TH&B Historical Society web site. in the meantime I believe I can answer some.

A) Although having no trackage into Buffalo or Toronto, we’re freight and passenger trains run to those two cities? If so, how? The TH&B had trackage rights over it's parent companies. Canada Southern (NYC) to Buffalo and Canadian Pacific to Toronto.
B) Did the TH&B have “named” passenger trains? I don't think so.
C) Did the TH&B have any yard facilities in either Toronto and Buffalo although having no owned trackage into those cities? I believe the only yards were Aberdeen Yard and Kinnear Yard, both in Hamilton.
D) What other railroads did the TH&B interchange with in those cities?
 #1497902  by ExCon90

As to (B), the November 1958 Official Guide shows no train names in the TH&B listing. As recently as 1958 they had three daily round trips between Toronto and Buffalo: The morning departure and evening arrival at Toronto had a through coach for New York on the Empire State Express, and a Parlor-Buffet between Toronto and Buffalo; an evening departure and morning arrival at Toronto, in addition to a through New York coach, had through sleepers for New York, Boston, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, and a diner-lounge between Toronto and Buffalo. A third train, with coaches only, left Buffalo at 11.55 am and returned from Toronto in the evening. All three trains made almost all local stops between Hamilton and Welland. There's no mention of a Manager, Dining Car Service, so it seems likely that the diner-lounge and Parlor-Buffet would have been CP cars, with CP staff.