Railroad Forums 

• High & Wide Transformer in Woburn

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1496870  by l008com

I saw this picture on NERail today:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 502873.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish this was there in the summer, I'd get to see it!
So where is this transformer going? How are they going to transport it from this spot to its final destination? When is that going to happen? That might be interesting to see. Also why does this train have hoppers as spacers? Are they filled with something that will be used in this transport, or did they just have two spare hoppers hanging around so they used those?

Also how does this work logistically? This siding and I assume that driveway area all belongs to NE Resins. Do they have to get some kind of permission from them to do an operation like this, there?
 #1496895  by b&m 1566

I've seen a variety of different freight cars on that siding in the past 5 or so years, some belonged to MassDOT, so I just assumed it was used for storage when needed. After seeing the picture you linked, it makes me wonder if this is an unofficial transloading location. The siding is still in place going all the way back to NE Resins building but not too much further back behind the train, that siding becomes heavily overgrown.
 #1496926  by GP40MC1118

In the past, these moves were unloaded at the old Weyehauser siding further south of here.
That siding is now severed, so this is the next best location for these moves.

D
 #1496956  by NHV 669

Looks similar to the one that came east on the SLR 3 weeks ago. I don't recall the braces on the sides of the transformer, although I was on the other side when it passed.
 #1497013  by newpylong

Overdimensional loads typically use spacers. It's to protect not only that load but other railcars in the consist.

Unless you lool at a tax map it's impossible to tell who owns the siding. Oftentimes the railroad will own it even if it's right up on the customer's property. Remember the Tighe Winchester court case where they debated whether the siding closest to the building was owned by Tighe or the RR and whether they still would be exempted from local regulations.