Railroad Forums 

• NJT to lease AEM-7s and ALP-44s from SEPTA

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1496713  by Backshophoss

Might be due to the HEP not setup plug wise to match NJT's HEP phase setup on the Equipment. NJT has a different HEP setup than Amtrak's standard.
That was hinted at when the ex NJT P-40's were bought by ConnDOT and sent to Beech Grove for rebuild!
Surprised none of the SEPTA Meatballs were tested to at least MU with NJT's equipment for "CAB CAR" duty!
 #1496787  by EuroStar

I am ashamed that we cannot get our act together to even pretend to use there engines as cab cars. Why we are getting a pass from the FRA about this is beyond me.

Does any of the old timers know the history of why our HEP ended up not matching Amtrak's? This makes borrowing equipment a difficult proposition as we can only borrow trainsets, not separate coaches or engines.
 #1496809  by kilroy

Haven't we griped here previously that NJT can never buy anything off the shelf that matches what someone else has been using successfully?
 #1496821  by ExCon90

lensovet wrote:
ConstanceR46 wrote:So apparently the plan is to let them sit in Morrisville because them being leased means the required portion of the roster has PTC.
is this a joke?
In a sense, maybe it is. Perhaps to meet the required qualification the units have to be on the roster and on the property, but not necessarily able to pull trains. (One would think it would go without saying that they must be operable in order to count, but sometimes regulations get written by someone who doesn't foresee all the angles.)
 #1496843  by Sid Farkus

EuroStar wrote:I am ashamed that we cannot get our act together to even pretend to use there engines as cab cars. Why we are getting a pass from the FRA about this is beyond me.

Does any of the old timers know the history of why our HEP ended up not matching Amtrak's? This makes borrowing equipment a difficult proposition as we can only borrow trainsets, not separate coaches or engines.
All I can add is, that brings back memories of the original Atlantic City Line equipment, and that NJ Transit had certain equipment designated and assigned to the line because NJ Transit configured them to operate with Amtrak equipment.
 #1496861  by R36 Combine Coach

Sid Farkus wrote:All I can add is, that brings back memories of the original Atlantic City Line equipment, and that NJ Transit had certain equipment designated and assigned to the line because NJ Transit configured them to operate with Amtrak equipment.
Comet II equipment with the letters "AC" under the car number. Rebuilt Comet I-Bs (Arrow I/Comarrows) were also used in AC service.