Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1495170  by Jeff Smith

Just curious as to how bad of a sh!t show it is for MNRR on New Year's Eve? Every year I get the alerts on extra trains, yada yada.

How much extra service is provided? Is there a schedule of extras? How many extra crews, etc., etc.? I'm guessing tickets are collected at gate, and all brown paper bags are summarily confiscated?
 #1495192  by DutchRailnut

as long as its not past my bedtime :-) which seem to get earlier every year.
 #1495210  by Steamboat Willie

To answer your question in short, it is a very controlled and organized day. There is gating in Grand Central for the outbound trains leaving between midnight and 5am. A good handful of regular assignments are changed to accommodate the modified service as well as extra assignments. I never minded working New Years as opposed to some other events such as Santa Con.
 #1495223  by njtmnrrbuff

If you think MNR will be bad tomorrow night, then you should check out NJT. Probably even during the daytime, NJT won’t be that much better. If you don’t have to go into the city tomorrow night, then don’t.
 #1495320  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

With just about ten hours left of 2018 at the time of this post I noticed that the MTA posted service
advisories about New Year's Eve services on MNCR, LIRR and NYC Transit.

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/nye_holidayservice.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/n ... ce2019.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/events ... Sq2019.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On both Metro-North and the LIRR a 24 hour alcohol ban is in effect from 12 noon 12/31 to
12 noon 1/1 enforced by the MTA Police.

Both railroads will collect tickets before boarding return trains after New Year's Eve events at
GCT and Penn Station.

New Year's Eve events in NYC are always affected by the weather - one year ago it was bitter cold
that outdoor revelers had to deal with - this year it will be significantly warmer with rain.

SW is correct in mentioning that services are controlled and well organized to get riders safely to
their destinations and with that the vast majority of riders do comply with regulations.

I have noticed over many years that going to the Times Square celebration in Manhattan extends
over many hours but after the New Year beginning is celebrated just about everyone wants to go
away around the same time presenting a tough challenge for any form of transportation.

May everybody have a safe and Happy New Year 2018 to all here at Railroad.Net!!! :-D
MACTRAXX
 #1495381  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Were there any reported problems on trains operating before and after New Year's Eve ceremonies
in Manhattan and elsewhere in the Metro-North (and LIRR) service areas?

Over the last 20 or so years security has substantially increased along with curbing drinking alcohol
on trains which has helped in the long run on holidays such as New Year's Eve.

Does anyone remember when the MTA offered free rides for the New Year's Eve holiday on both
MNCR and the LiRR? This was done for two NYE celebrations 1983-84 and 1984-85.

What was to be a well intentioned alternative to drinking and driving instead created huge problems
when some passengers ended up riding the trains around all night instead of using them to travel to
a specific destination. There were problems such as trains being vandalized and altercations reported.
A more lax attitude towards alcohol use on board no doubt was a contributing factor.

This promotion was ended as a result of these problems and never repeated. I also remember that
NJT ran without fares on NYE at least once - I do not recall if they had similar problems on board
trains that both MNCR and the LIRR encountered - but for at least one of more NYE celebrations
they implemented a discounted one way fare of $1 (for shorter rides) and $2 (for longer rides)
which was a good move. The MTA instead went back to regular fares for the NYE holidays.

These 80s era MTA promotions had good intent but ended up creating more problems then they
were worth. Today having more security to head off potential trouble is the most visible change.

I can see having promotional discount fares on the New Year's Eve holiday but letting everyone
ride free again? NO remembering the significant problems they ended up creating...MACTRAXX
 #1495390  by DutchRailnut

pretty sure chiefs log was fun to read this morning , even if nothing got to media. this kind of days are always the moments railroaders go Ohh S**t but still work it cause its start of next years earnings.
And this is what we do move the Cattle from one pen to the other pen.