Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1494047  by NS VIA FAN

GO's plan was to implement weekday GO Train service between Toronto and Niagara Falls in about 4 years time.......but now beginning on January 7/19 an existing Toronto – Hamilton train will be extended to St. Catharines and Niagara Falls.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2018/12/ ... falls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new train leaves Toronto in the evening and returns from Niagara Falls in the morning....running opposite to the VIA (Amtrak) Maple Leaf and similar to an old schedule VIA discontinued in 2012.

GO does plan to implement additional frequent train service...... but for now. there's hourly GO Buses from Niagara Falls connecting with Go Trains in Burlington.
 #1495200  by dowlingm

One train per day and has to reverse into Hamilton West Harbour until the through track is constructed (as it is an extension of a timetabled West Harbour train). It might be ahead of schedule but I don't think it's what people out there were expecting
 #1495314  by briann

Where will the reversing occur? I'm not aware that Amtrak's Maple Leaf has to reverse anywhere on its route between Niagara Falls and Toronto, which I assumed was a straight run from Niagara Falls through Hamilton West Harbour to Aldershot (although I could be wrong).
 #1495347  by marquisofmississauga

briann wrote:Where will the reversing occur? I'm not aware that Amtrak's Maple Leaf has to reverse anywhere on its route between Niagara Falls and Toronto, which I assumed was a straight run from Niagara Falls through Hamilton West Harbour to Aldershot (although I could be wrong).
That is correct. The Maple Leaf and the summer week-end GO trains go straight through Hamilton. They do not use the station at West Harbour which has its tracks off the main line.
 #1495368  by NS VIA FAN

dowlingm wrote:One train per day and has to reverse into Hamilton West Harbour until the through track is constructed (as it is an extension of a timetabled West Harbour train). It might be ahead of schedule but I don't think it's what people out there were expecting
It's the start for an eventual all-day rail service that wasn't to begin for at least another 4 years....and returns a morning train to Toronto and an evening run back to Niagara Falls that disapeared with the VIA cuts in 2012. I'll take it!...and certainly won't complain about a back-up move that will be eliminated.