Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1488187  by tree68

The area around Deshler is flat as a billiard table. Clearly not all of Ohio is that way, but apparently it's enough to allow some pretty sizable trains to run with a single unit.
 #1488195  by sd80mac

tree68 wrote:I watch the Deshler, OH cams a lot - and have seen a lot of single unit wonders. Seems to be an ongoing phenomenon on CSX.
Ohio is pretty much flat with little grade. One wonder can do 110 cars in Ohio...
 #1488713  by conrailman02

Still just two trains a day here Q620/Q621. All the ones that I have seen lately have had two CSX units for power. Containers are hit or miss sometimes there is a lot of them while other days there is none. Still no word on any potential buyers/bidders for the line.
 #1488815  by Leo_Ames

Caught a couple trains lately and they were all widecabs. A bit unusual though were that both only had a pair of locomotives. Usually three or four seems to be the norm.

They're also back to a GP40-2/road slug combination on the local (Slug is the #2222, which is a former B&O GP35). Saw that briefly a few years ago with a GP30 road slug, but then it was back to pairs of GP38-2's to the best of my knowledge.
 #1491757  by Leo_Ames

Been any rumors about the possible buyer?

And I was wondering if this photo caption was correct?

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/397705/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought that old bridge that's now a footbridge over the Grass River and the remains next to the Massena Terminal Railroad bridge over the nearby Raquette River were the old alignment of the Massena Terminal Railroad? I may have never had it spelled out, but I suppose I just always assumed there was a major grade separation project back when Massena was booming that elevated the MTRR tracks?

Yet the caption says the footbridge was New York Central...
 #1491801  by nydepot

I think you are correct.
Leo_Ames wrote:Been any rumors about the possible buyer?

And I was wondering if this photo caption was correct?

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/397705/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought that old bridge that's now a footbridge over the Grass River and the remains next to the Massena Terminal Railroad bridge over the nearby Raquette River were the old alignment of the Massena Terminal Railroad? I may have never had it spelled out, but I suppose I just always assumed there was a major grade separation project back when Massena was booming that elevated the MTRR tracks?

Yet the caption says the footbridge was New York Central...
 #1495393  by nickstowell

conrailman02 wrote:A lot of nice foreign power lately. A total of two Norfolk Southerns, two Union Pacifics and one Canadian National. And that’s just since Saturday.
I Was able to catch the NS 8430 and UP pair today, and the New CN 3134 trailing with NS 1160 on 12-27-18. Still not known what is to happen with the line sale ? but keeping things interesting.
 #1495450  by conrailman02

No news yet. The only railroads I could see being interested in this line would be the G&W or Canadian National at this time. I still believe this railroad line has a lot of potential if utilized. CSX invested quite a bit of money in upgrading track speeds and building a container facility only to possibly sell the line due to a change in management practices. Why not compete with CP/NS and utilize this line for all the traffic you can. Time shall tell.
 #1495451  by lvrr325

One went up and each block of cars through most of the train was all matched. Stacks, then nice new covered hoppers, then big Railbox, then more covered hoppers but all weathered and rusty. Only towards the end did some of the cars not all match perfectly.