Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1481360  by EuroStar

How do they ensure no fare evasion on trips between stations with no fare gates? For example, New Brunswick - Trenton? Not that NJT is really collecting those fares now anyway. For New Brunswick - Trenton probably even now your ticket will get collected only one out of ten times.
 #1481442  by andrewjw

Occasionally (1-2 times per month), a conductor will come through and check that you have 'clipped in' (Clipper, CalTrain) and anyone who is found to be free-riding will be given a $100+ ticket, just like Select Bus Service. CalTrain doesn't even have fare gates in the central stations - this is their only means of enforcement. As a note, anyone with a monthly pass never needs to tap (after the first of the month, when they tap to activate it). SEPTA and MBTA are setting up fare control "rings of steel". I believe Oyster (on which the new MTA card will be based) is used in much the same method as Clipper - many London stations have no fare gates.
 #1488586  by airman00

As I was heading home this evening I caught #4119 on the tail end of a spring valley bound train going thru Woodcliff Lake around 9:15pm give or take. It was cool to disappearing into the dark of the night as it left the station with it’s red marker lights on. A PL42 was the leader on that train.
 #1493343  by BVERailer

As I was walking out of the bathroom in a Comet V, I heard the end of a defect detector on the conductor’s radio. I think it was around River Edge. Anyone know where the defect detectors are on the PVL?
 #1495358  by airman00

So I saw two interesting moves on the PVL today, January 1st. The first was an equipment move, two trainsets coupled back to back running express through Westwood, towards Hoboken... A four-car set with a PL42 followed by a six-car set with an ALP45dp. However more interesting was the next train to follow just 5 minutes or so later. A four car set with a PL42, going towards Hoboken, cab car leading, except it was three cars, the PL42, and then another cab car #6071, coupled to the nose of the pl42, with the cab end trailing to provide marker lights. Anyone know what that was about? Looked to me like two working cab cars on one train?
 #1495366  by airman00

Ok now this the second time I’ve seen this today... A train headed towards Hoboken, this time, 4 cars, a geep, then a cab car trailing the geep, cab end trailing providing marker lights. Perhaps this has something to do with PTC testing? But having cab cars on both ends of a revenue train is definitely unusual!
 #1495377  by CNJGeep

Cab cars on both ends is indeed a PTC Compliance measure.
 #1495380  by airman00

CNJGeep wrote:Cab cars on both ends is indeed a PTC Compliance measure.
Is this just for PTC installation/testing? Or will this be a more permanent thing? Because I don’t think NJT will have enough cab cars to do this.
 #1495398  by airman00

CNJGeep wrote:Until more engines receive PTC
Does NJT have enough cab cars to do this? Or will this result in more cancelled trains?
 #1495402  by amtrakhogger

airman00 wrote:Ok now this the second time I’ve seen this today... A train headed towards Hoboken, this time, 4 cars, a geep, then a cab car trailing the geep, cab end trailing providing marker lights. Perhaps this has something to do with PTC testing? But having cab cars on both ends of a revenue train is definitely unusual!
I saw a similar setup yesterday in my travels at New Brunswick. A ML Cab car, Alp46, and 8 ML's trailing.
 #1495564  by Jeff Smith

For those who upthread posted on the Piermont Branch, there is a topic in MNRR on it: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=6759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;