Railroad Forums 

• NJT to lease AEM-7s and ALP-44s from SEPTA

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1490700  by Zuccaraillo

As per the admin of the “SEPTA AEM-7 + ALP-44 + ACS-64” Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1707396662901662/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), NJ Transit is to lease motors 2301 and 2303-2308 from SEPTA to assist with the PTC equipment shortage. 2302 to remain with SEPTA for now for reasons unknown until I can fully verify why so.
 #1490711  by blockline4180

Word on the street is they will only be used on 5 or 6 of the Morrisville to NY Penn captive trains.. But if they were used to replace ML cab cars going for PTC upgrade, then you would think they could be used anywhere out of NY Penn without the HEP since their would be a ALP45/46 powering the train on the opposite end. I guess time will tell how they are used, but dont think they can pull more then 7 Comet cars. Anyone know more??
 #1490718  by Zuccaraillo

NJT ran their ALP-44s with 8 Comet cars in the past, so it's safe to say that's the maximum they could handle. I have heard they ran with 6 Multilevels too.
 #1490754  by blockline4180

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Will the ban on ALP44s hauling Multilevels still be in effect?
One of the Septa Schedulers said they will strictly be used with Comets.. Im guessing this will free up other ALP46/45s to be used as cab cars with the MLs since those cabs are getting PTC installation.. But at any rate I'd imagine the Septa crap will be used as Cabs only too.
 #1490973  by EuroStar

Any word when these are coming to the property? It will be a rare sight to catch: NJTransit train with an AEM-7 or ASC-64. Indeed, maybe the old timers know: has any regularly scheduled NJT train ever been pulled by an AEM-7 before other than any emergency moves after breakdowns?
 #1491032  by CNJGeep

EuroStar wrote:Any word when these are coming to the property? It will be a rare sight to catch: NJTransit train with an AEM-7 or ASC-64. Indeed, maybe the old timers know: has any regularly scheduled NJT train ever been pulled by an AEM-7 before other than any emergency moves after breakdowns?
SEPTA leased AEM-7 to NJT in exchange for three U34CH diesels during Railworks in the early '90s.

MARC also leased an AEM-7 in exchange for diesel 4131 during the same time frame.
 #1491103  by njtmnrrbuff

Well, if NJT keeps their Comets together and not mix Multilevels with Comets on revenue trains, then the logical thing would be for NJT is to have the Septa power on a Comet consist. On the NEC, many NJT trains are Multilevel but plenty still use Comet sets.
 #1491184  by sullivan1985

EDM5970 wrote:I've never seen Comets and MLs in the same revenue train. Equipment moves, yes, but NJT does not mix them up. Now, in Boston MBTA does mix MLs and single level cars.
NJT MLs utilize a trainline smoke detection and emergency intercom system that require cars with similar systems to be together. since nothing else by the MLs have these features they can not be mixed for revenue service. Other systems like MARC and MBTA do not use these systems.