Railroad Forums 

• Sacramento Rail Yards

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1464887  by theseaandalifesaver

Forgive me if this isn't the right forum for this but I just figured it was appropriate since the UP and SP became the same railroad over 20 years ago.

Are the SP rail shops still in use? If so what are they used for? And if not, is it worth a visit to check out?
 #1464890  by Wayside

Jerry Davis yard in Roseville is the main facility for the Sacramento area.
 #1464907  by NorthWest

They're currently in a state of limbo, as the CSRM would love to have them and currently stores equipment in them, but developers have their eye on the prime real estate that they sit on.
 #1464972  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="NorthWest"]They're currently in a state of limbo, as the CSRM would love to have them and currently stores equipment in them, but developers have their eye on the prime real estate that they sit on.[/quote]

Is it possible to walk around there? Regardless of whether it’s peenitted or not.
 #1464982  by Backshophoss

Believe the former SP Backshop still needs to be cleaned up of various "haz-mat" materials before CSRM or anything else happens on that site.
The State is VERY picky about "haz-mat" cleanup!
 #1490507  by sdmuleman

theseaandalifesaver wrote: Is it possible to walk around there? Regardless of whether it’s peenitted or not.
Anything is possible..... how risky/practical it is becomes a different question. I was in Davis (about 15 miles west) 2002-2009 and thought many times about going over and checking it out. Never did anything though - too risky for me.

At that time the area was fenced and looked pretty cloely watched. Not a great area of town also, so while I'm sure there's ways to sneak in, there's also a high likelyhood of folks already being there whom you probably really don't want to run into. I'd expect the majority of the interesting stuff is well locked up as well, so even if you got in there who knows how much you could really see.
 #1490560  by Backshophoss

The entire SP shop complex is part of a "Superfund" clean up site,Ca has very strict cleanup requirements,on top of Federal Law requirements.
A good chunk of the ATSF historical collection was scattered around the tracks there,all in need of Haz-Mat cleanup(lagging on the steam power)
along with some cosmetic restoration.
IF there's any access it's under CSRM control,might see some of this from the tourist train run by CSRM along the river bank.
The Vandals have done their worst already,Homeless may have followed,some building may already Condemned
 #1502175  by theseaandalifesaver

Here's a story y'all,

When I was in sacramento a few weeks ago, I wanted to photograph the yards to the best of my ability. I began at the old SP station/current Amtrak station, walked over the bridge on 5th all the way to the trail and back to the station. Nothing.

I decided to check the amtrak platform as that seemed it'd be the closest I'd get. While checking out the platform area I noticed a set of stairs. What I assume is an emergency exist of some sort. Since I didn't see any "No Trespassing" signs (And I looked!) I decided to walk up them and BOOM right in the middle of the old yards. I decided to walk around quickly and snap a few pictures. I walk up to the building that the museum uses to store trains. On my walk back towards the station I got approached by a person in a pickup truck. Clearly labeled security. He pulls up to me, asks me how my day is. I say it's going wonderfully and that I've been looking forward to seeing this yard since I've found out about its existence. He tells me to have a good day and drives off.

Without trying to push my incredible luck, I walk back and feel thankful that whatever quick and awful pictures I got were better than none at all.

I do not endorse doing this! I definitely super lucked out, I'm assuming. I'll try to link some pictures.