Railroad Forums 

• Discount for students

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1489993  by StrasburgRailroadFan

I have a cousin that goes to Drexel in Philadelphia that heard there might be a discount for students on regional rail. Could I get more info on this? And also if this applies to other SEPTA transit as well. Thanks in advance.
 #1490031  by mcgrath618

StrasburgRailroadFan wrote:I have a cousin that goes to Drexel in Philadelphia that heard there might be a discount for students on regional rail. Could I get more info on this? And also if this applies to other SEPTA transit as well. Thanks in advance.
Yes, it's through the University itself. I'm pretty sure it's in the main building. You get something like a 20% discount on PATCO and a 10% discount on all SEPTA RR passes and subway fares. You can't buy individual RR tickets at a discount, though.
I think the way you get the subway fares might actually be still be the only way to get a token nowadays, but I could be (and probably am) wrong.
 #1490036  by JeffK

mcgrath618 wrote:I think the way you get the subway fares might actually be still be the only way to get a token nowadays, but I could be (and probably am) wrong.
According to the Drexel website https://drexel.edu/studentlife/get_invo ... portation/, the 10% discount is only available for monthly passes purchased TWO MONTHS in advance. As a monthly pass it should be good for both transit and RRD service. However because monthlies are now loaded onto the Key, your cousin would have to find out how and whether it can be stored that far in advance ... plus of course they'd have to know two months out whether they'd be using it enough to break even :(

I'm not sure how it works for student fares, but to the best of my knowledge tokens are no longer directly accepted by cashiers or turnstiles at BSS/MFSE stations. On those lines the (formerly unrestricted) token fare is now available only via the Key card or, if you already have any leftover tokens, exchanging them for Quick Trip tickets at a vending machine. Another temporary alternative, albeit very kludgy, would be to use a token at any of the subway-surface stations that still haven't been turnstile-gated, then changing to the BSS or MFSE at the free interchange stations. Of course any payment via tokens or QTs doesn't allow transfers so again unless your cousin's usage is limited to single trips, that's barely reasonable financially.

Unless your cousin will be riding enough to justify the cost of a pass (minus 10% of course), s/he may be straitjacketed into buying and registering a Key, then loading funds onto it and paying per trip. That at least offers the $2 token fare and $1 transfer charge instead of getting scrued for the cash increment and lack of paper transfers.
 #1490045  by ChesterValley

As a Drexel student, I'll just copy off what's on their site.
The deadline to place orders is the 4th Monday of each month at midnight, two months in advance. Passes will be availabe for pick-up one week prior to the issue date month from either the Creese Information Desk or the DragonCard Offices on the Center City and Queen Lane campuses. You must show a valid Drexel Student ID and copy of purchase receipt. Passes may only be purchased by currently enrolled Drexel full-time students and are non-transferable. Orders are limited to one pass per month.
You order the pass two months in advance and get it. We only get Passes, and those passes have a 10% discount. I do not believe they are loaded onto the Key but are still the older paper method. Drexel hands out tokens or tickets for certain events, but we don't get discounted tickets or tokens.
 #1490064  by MACTRAXX

Jeff: Tokens are still accepted at cashier booths or can be used to purchase a QT card at TVMs.
With a QT entrance ticket purchase the method of payment is written on the card - a token is
the equivalent of $2 - and a receipt can be secured with this information if necessary.

I do think that the best bet for someone new to the SEPTA System is to purchase a legacy type
pass (true unlimited use) and avoid the limitations of the Key regardless of any student discount.

SRF: What station/line does your Cousin travel on? How often do they use RRD or Transit?
Just remember the more you ride the more you can save...MACTRAXX
 #1490088  by StrasburgRailroadFan

Mactraxx, my cousin rides on the one from 30th to Warminster and possibly some others. I'll see how often they use it.

To everyone else, thanks for the information I hope my cousin will find it useful.