Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1490263  by Backshophoss

Sunnyside Yard is owned by Amtrak,shared with NJT,and is tangled with parts of the ESA project.
Former Yard A is now the layup yard for ESA and Arch st Shop(LIRR),used as a materials site for ESA.
 #1493610  by roysmith

I was at a workshop this evening to talk about the new Metro North stations in The Bronx (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/plan ... north.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The people there were mostly city planners who were interested in the design of the stations themselves, not railroad people, so I wasn't able to find out what I wanted to know.

I gather the last big stumbling block is negotiations between Amtrak and Metro North about the use of the Amtrak trackage between New Rochelle and Sunnyside, but I was unable to find out what the issues are that are holding things up. Amtrak feels there's insufficient track capacity for both the existing NorthEast Corridor service and the new Metro North service. A third track will need to be built to handle the added load. Are there any fundamental technical issues here, or is it just a matter of who comes up with the cash to pay for the upgrade?

From what I can see, it looks like there used to be four tracks and two were torn up some time ago. So, I assume it's just a matter of relaying the track. Yeah, I know, that's not cheap, but at least the right-of-way already exists. The choke point looks like it'll be the Pelham Bay Bridge, which is only two tracks wide.
 #1493611  by DutchRailnut

one of big upgrades is Amtrak besides that 3th track wants MTA to built a new Pelham Bay drawbridge of higher capacity.
 #1493827  by DutchRailnut

no and no , West farms has nothing to do with 60 hz or M-8's and no the third rail can't be extended unless a new substation/breaker house is put in service to feed at mile of track.
in fact no money has been allocated.
 #1493847  by Backshophoss

West Farms Substation is what remains of the New Haven's Van Nest Power Generator Complex and vast Electric Backshop for the New Haven
and NYW&B RR's that existed ages ago.

LIRR Might need to expand 1 of the Port Washington Branch Substations to power the LIRR style 3rd from Harold to 1 mile past CP Gate
on Amtrak's Hellgate line.
 #1493849  by DutchRailnut

ehh no the track from Gate to were third rail now tails will need an entire substation and breaker house.
and the feed would not come from west farms as it needs a 60 Hz feed .
 #1497717  by Jeff Smith

Apparently it’s real; Amtrak agrees: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/M ... 97292.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amtrak confirmed the deal in a statement.
"We are pleased to have reached a preliminary agreement that will allow for MTA to advance for design and construction of improvements on Amtrak's Hell Gate Line, for the eventual operation of new Metro-North commuter rail service into New York Penn Station and construction of four new stations along the line," Amtrak Senior Executive Vice President Stephen Gardner said.
 #1497732  by hrfcarl

lol, that is the same link and I did read that. It was the "preliminary" that made me ask how real this is and look for additional info - I should have searched instead of scrolling, as I missed this thread. Thanks for adding my post to this thread.
 #1497763  by Rockingham Racer

The media is starting to publish on this project. One of them stated that Amtrak and MN have agreed to share the cost for upgrades such as the Pelham Bay Draw based on usage. Details on the third track--if any--seem to be non-existent at the moment.

One report says trains will run between Penn and New Rochelle; another says between Penn and Harrison, where some trains already turn back.