Railroad Forums 

• A few B&M locations - still trains?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1486422  by nydepot

Holden MA
Tyngsborough MA (Tyngsboro)
Greenfield - the line through the Greenfield Country Club golf course
Hooksett NH
Where was Smith Ferry between Holyoke and Northampton MA?

Thanks!
 #1486427  by Stp243

Not entirely sure what you're asking here but Smiths Ferry connected Holyoke to South Hadley. Check out Old Ferry Road in Holyoke near the Mt Tom reservation entrance off route 5. The Conn River Line crosses it at grade.
 #1486437  by BostonUrbEx

Trains still run at the locations you listed, if that's what you're asking. However, in Holden, MA the trains are now operated by the recently-G&W-acquired Providence & Worcester Railroad. The rest is all under the Pan Am umbrella.
 #1486765  by oibu

I believe the "Greenfield golf course" question is about the former NH branch to Turners Falls, which is abandoned and has been gone since ca. 1980s or so IIRC.
 #1486785  by jaymac

The Greenfield Country Club is west of I-91 north of the I-91/Rte. 2 shared alignment and has Conn River trackage through it. The Meadows Golf Course is to the south, just west of Rte. 5 and across from the Conn River bridge over the Deerfield River and roads to East Deerfield and Turners Falls. That far north, the NH trackage had crossed over to the east side of Rte. 5, as shown on the 1941 Greenfield USGS topo at the archive of your choice.
 #1486863  by oibu

I didn't know the names of the golf courses, I just surmised that the question might be about the Turners Falls branch since that is the one that cut right through the center of the course (only thing distinguishing the RR ROW from the rest of the surrounding golf club was that the grass/weeds on the track wasn't mowed!), and wanted to put that out in case it was the location/line the OP had in mind.

Never really paid attention to any GC proximal to the Conn River one way or the other, and don't recall ever seeing nay photos from that location that would mark it as a point of railfan interest, but I guess upon recollection there is one somewhere in the area you described.
 #1486914  by New Haven 1

Somewhere I have a photo of a short freight running through the Turners falls Golf course. What's funny is off to the side there are a couple of golfers who are putting at a hole while the train passes and they pay no mind to it as though it is part of the routine of playing there at that time.
 #1488280  by newpylong

oibu wrote:I didn't know the names of the golf courses, I just surmised that the question might be about the Turners Falls branch since that is the one that cut right through the center of the course (only thing distinguishing the RR ROW from the rest of the surrounding golf club was that the grass/weeds on the track wasn't mowed!), and wanted to put that out in case it was the location/line the OP had in mind.

Never really paid attention to any GC proximal to the Conn River one way or the other, and don't recall ever seeing nay photos from that location that would mark it as a point of railfan interest, but I guess upon recollection there is one somewhere in the area you described.
The Conn River line cuts directly through the Greenfield Country Club in the same way.
 #1488436  by nydepot

That's a photo I recall and the golf course I was referring to (not knowing the correct names). Thanks.
Dick H wrote:This is probably the photo of the Turner Falls Golf Course local train by Wayne D, Hills in 1977.
You may have to be a member of flicker to access the photo. Read text below photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bmrrhs/34498644624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;