Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1486500  by Train60

RenegadeMonster wrote:Wonder if it has anything to do with double tracking?
No double tracking mentioned in the bid docs. Just some new CWR for the sidings in Springfield and Northampton.
 #1486544  by BM6569

from the docs

"The number of ties to be replaced per mile varies from approximately 500 to
approximately 1400, up to a total of 30,000."

"MassDOT will provide up to six ballast cars per day for the contractor’s use. The
contractor shall coordinate with Pan Am and MassDOT for the use of this equipment."

And it mentioned a siding extension at MP 36.45 in a question they were asked:

"If someone else is doing the grading for the siding extension at MP 36.45, how much time should
we plan on lapsing between the time we dismantle the 800’ of track and when we can come back
and start building the 1,600’ of new siding? Further, if someone else is preparing the subgrade
including a ballast pad, why do we need to be bothered with handling or transporting any spoils
for the grade of the 800’ of dismantled track if someone else is doing the grading work to prepare
it for new construction?"
 #1486658  by BostonUrbEx

I'm a little thrown off by the 36.45 for the siding. Is the Greenfield Controlled Siding being extended to or from 36.45? Because the CPR 36 switch is listed as being located at 36.10, unless that is incorrect. If it is correct and the siding is being extended to 36.45, that must be well clear of the other side of the tunnel, up near the Arch St under-grade bridge. Can the tunnel fit double track? I thought it was a bit tight.
 #1488438  by jay.barnes

Looks like the PAS/PVRR interchange in Holyoke is actively being worked on; namely, the PVRR bridge over the canal. Last I saw (about 10/11 or so), rail on the bridge was being removed.
 #1488460  by Stp243

jay.barnes wrote:Looks like the PAS/PVRR interchange in Holyoke is actively being worked on; namely, the PVRR bridge over the canal. Last I saw (about 10/11 or so), rail on the bridge was being removed.
As of 8am this morning there was one section of deck completely removed from the span and crews were on site.
 #1488561  by Stp243

Yes it's single track. It's single track from the remains of the Holyoke yard, down Water St all the way to under 391 where it joins the track to Westfield. I noticed a few boxcars up at the Sullivan loading site next to the water treatment facility. Nice to see some different rolling stock other than the usual scrap metal gons.

Edit: I'm going to post updates in the PVRR thread over in the New England forum. I'm in Holyoke everyday so I'll keep an eye on the progress.
 #1488804  by jay.barnes

Update on the PAS/PVRR interchange bridge in Holyoke- deck is completely gone, and 1.5'-2' high concrete blocks have been installed on the tops of all three supports in the canal
 #1488953  by BostonUrbEx

Amazing the investment being put into this interchange. Frankly I don't expect it will even be used much. It'll probably just be pointed to in order to negotiate better rates from CSX.
 #1488963  by Stp243

Sullivan scrap has operations that are served by both Pan Am (near the Amtrak station) and by the PVRR in the south side down near the water treatment plant. I imagine this work will provide Sullivan with some flexibility for shipping. Too bad a lot of the other local customers in Holyoke have dried up over the past years.