Railroad Forums 

• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1484539  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote:Too late to stop them now.
I don’t know about that, environmental problems have ways of cropping up a la NJT Cutoff construction. I hope the new administration extracts the best deal possible for Florida citizens, but ultimately does work with Brightline as the best game in town.
 #1484609  by bostontrainguy

I have to say that I have lived in both Massachusetts and Florida. In Massachusetts EVERYTHING gets held up by environmentalists and NIMBYS and nothing gets done quickly or without great cost . . . e.g., Southcoast Rail, Greenline Extension, Greenbush, etc.

OR never happens . . . e.g., Grand Junction service to North Station, reactivation of the East Boston Branch, Woburn's New England Transrail rail-to-truck transfer station, etc.

In Florida, they just seem to do it. Like the "S" Line upgrade or the reactivation of the Miami Port Branch or the South Florida Rail Connection Projects (http://www.fdot.gov/design/training/Des ... ilaire.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Think about this . . . Brightline just built a massive new rail line directly into the midtown of a major U.S. city while FEC reactivated a freight line through that same city with little to no opposition. Can you imagine this happening in many other U.S. cities?

I'm for being good to the environment too, but I have to say it's nice to actually see something getting done to expand rail service. Brightline is a most impressive operation.
 #1484629  by Jadebenn

According to this article, Brightline claims that ridership has risen 40% and revenues have risen 70% since Q1. If we assume that's accurate, we can approximate what Brightline's financials currently look like.
140% of 74,780 passengers (Q1) = 104,692 passengers (estimated Q2)
170% of $663,700 (Q1) = $1,128,290 (estimated Q2)
Not a bad turnaround, I'd say.
 #1484640  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Trainguy, how often have I noted in these discussions how it seems that "the dragons get slain" and "Hootie the Owl" will have to accept there's a new kid on the block.

How Florida was able to garner Federal funds to develop the South Florida ports to compete for neo-PANAMAX traffic when every other East Coast port has "skin in that game"? But they did.

All told, I have followed railroad industry affairs, including related maritime affairs, for over sixty years. I have never been so mistaken on any industry initiative as I have with AAF. I'm simply astounded it has come this far.
 #1484647  by Bonevalleyrailfan

Mr. Norman, it is unusual I admit, at how far AAF (now known as Brightline in their legal filihgs) has come. But you must remember that Florida is the 3rd most populous state in this country. Therefore, we do have some influence on what goes on in DC. Also, FECI is a large influence here in Florida. You can never underestimate their ability to make things happen in Tallahassee as well as DC. In my opinion, the opponents on the Treasure Coast have also overlooked how much FECi/Fortress is able to get things done. I have been told that Brightline has a good relationship with both Gillum and DeSantis. No matter who is the next governor of Florida, it appears that Brightline will have friends in Tallahassee.
 #1486254  by Gilbert B Norman

bostontrainguy wrote:WOW!
"Tuffy the Turtle" and "Sammy the Snake" will be "mobilizing"; and "out there" could be better warriors than were "Hooty the Owl" and "Morty the Manatee" ( along with their two legged "allies of sorts" from parts named Martin and St. Lucie) proved to be "down there".
 #1486268  by Noel Weaver

chrsjrcj wrote:Fair to say that this thread doesn’t even belong in this forum? FEC Railway and FEC Industries have been separate for a while now, and Brightline has made their first push outside Florida.
I tend to agree with this at this time. Brightline appears to be expanding way beyond the scope of the Florida East Coast, it's a long way to Vegas. I think the prospects for more expansion of Brightline is very possible so another thread in the passenger rail section would be in order here.
Noel Weaver
 #1486359  by bostontrainguy

Ridgefielder wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:How Florida was able to garner Federal funds to develop the South Florida ports to compete for neo-PANAMAX traffic when every other East Coast port has "skin in that game"? But they did.
Two words: Swing State. :wink:
Florida ports are a day or two or three (?) closer to the canal. Say maybe four days shorter round trip and a lot less congestion as opposed to say NY/NJ? Just makes a lot more sense. Where would you send your ships for quickest turn-around and efficiency.

Also, does anyone know how much they charge to pilot and unload a ship in Miami vs. New York? I got a feeling Miami might be cheaper.
 #1486365  by ExCon90

Anybody know which union handles longshore stevedoring at Miami? The ILA has most Atlantic and Gulf ports, but there are exceptions; if by any chance it's the Teamsters there might be significantly lower labor costs for transferring the containers.