Railroad Forums 

• New Regional Rail Train Numbering System

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#832672  by Silverliner II

With the new emphasis on using train numbers on Regional Rail, especially on TrainView, if you kept track of the train numbering system for Regional Rail over the years, it is time to get used to the new system...

SEPTA REGIONAL RAIL TRAIN NUMBER DESIGNATIONS
EFFECTIVE JULY 25TH, 2010

TRAINS NUMBERED:
With an even last digit operate northward/eastward in SEPTA territory
With an odd last digit operate southward/westward in SEPTA territory

BASIC TRAIN NUMBERS
001-099 Originate or terminate at Cynwyd
200-299 Operate between Norristown and Newark, DE
300-399 Operate between West Trenton, NJ and Elwyn
400-499 Operate between Warminster and Philadelphia International Airport
500-599 Operate between Doylestown and Thorndale
700-799 Operate between Chestnut Hill East and Trenton, NJ
800-899 Operate between Fox Chase and Chestnut Hill West

FOUR-DIGIT TRAIN NUMBERS
1xxx-series trains Originate or terminate at Suburban Station, Market East, or Vine
6xxx-series trains Originate or terminate at Powelton Yard
9xxx-series trains Originate or terminate at Roberts Yard, Wayne Electric, or Fern Rock

CROSS-ROUTED TRAINS
All four-digit train numbers; the first digit represents the line of origin and the second digit represents the line of destination. For example:
Train 5457 Operates from Doylestown to Philadelphia International Airport

OTHER TRAIN NUMBERS
D6100-D6198 (even numbers only)
Operate as non-revenue trains originating at Powelton Yard and terminating at Suburban Station

D1601-D1699 (odd numbers only)
Operate as non-revenue trains originating at Suburban Station and terminating at Powelton Yard

D6900-D6998 (even numbers only)
Operate as non-revenue trains originating at Powelton Yard and terminating at Roberts Yard, Wayne Electric, or Fern Rock

D9601-D9699 (odd numbers only)
Operate as non-revenue trains originating at Roberts Yard, Wayne Electric, or Fern Rock and terminating at Powelton Yard
 #832745  by Silverliner II

Ken S. wrote:I'm confused already.
Train Numbers 101 is now in session...lol :-D

It's only taken me three days, but I think I nailed it down. Where are you lost?
 #832786  by dcipjr

I actually like the new system a lot. I only wish they'd print a quick-reference guide to the train numbers in the schedules. With the greater emphasis on train numbers now that the Rs are gone, some folks may actually want to know how to decode them.
 #832794  by SilentCal

dcipjr wrote:I actually like the new system a lot. I only wish they'd print a quick-reference guide to the train numbers in the schedules. With the greater emphasis on train numbers now that the Rs are gone, some folks may actually want to know how to decode them.
I think that might end up being too much information for the casual user. Better to focus on departure times and destinations, which most people know already.
 #832898  by cahjis

So, as an example, train #3596 originates at Media or Elwyn, and goes to Doylestown. Is this correct (I'm assuming West Trenton is out of the mix since the train must go through center city)? Can you tell if it originated in either Media or Elwyn? Also, I know this train goes to Doylestown because I ride it, but can I tell if it is a Landsdale or Doylestown train just by the number?

Just curious.
 #832999  by Matthew Mitchell

cahjis wrote:So, as an example, train #3596 originates at Media or Elwyn, and goes to Doylestown. Is this correct?
Yep.
Can you tell if it originated in either Media or Elwyn?

Nope.
Also, I know this train goes to Doylestown because I ride it, but can I tell if it is a Landsdale or Doylestown train just by the number?
Nope. And they took away the numeric distinction between Bryn Mawr locals (0xx) and the rest of the Paoli line (5xx) too.
Just curious.
Good question.
 #833139  by add2718

I find it interesting that the new train numbering scheme will make it easier to track certain consists during the day, because you will now be able to know where each train came from and where it's going. Under the old scheme, a train headed to Fox Chase for example from maybe Wilmington would just have the 48xx designation on the Fox Chase schedule. i.e. you couldn't tell where the train originated from just the Fox Chase schedule, you would have to do some searching. Now, assuming they don't cut any cars anywhere throughout the day (not a valid assumption, but let's just say for the sake of argument), you can tell where each set of cars goes during the day.

So all you 269 spotters, the new scheme seems to make your job a little easier... perhaps now you can predict where it will end up later in the day.
 #1485787  by Hal

I'd been searching for this thread, finally found it~

Quick update on this-

It looks like Trains are now shown as originating at Temple University station with four digit "7xxx" numbers.
 #1485825  by Silverliner II

ExCon90 wrote:Previously trains originating or terminating at Temple were numbered 9xxx since they moved to or from Roberts; how are the 7xxx trains handled? Reversing at HUNT?
7xxx trains under the current numbering scheme would be originating at Chestnut Hill East, deadheading from the yard there to Temple U. The second digit would be the line the train terminates on.

Trains terminating at Temple that deadhead to CHE yard for midday storage would have x7xx series numbers.