Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA SLIV Fire at Glenside

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1484349  by glennk419

6ABC is showing SLIV 144 burning at Glenside Station. It appears to be more than a traction motor as there is active fire under the car. Pan is dropped and obviously all crew and passengers evacuated.

Edit: flames now visible through the dynamic brake grids. Not a good situation.

Currently no active firefighting going only, probably waiting for catenary to be de-energized.

https://6abc.com/septa-train-on-fire-at ... n/4090207/
 #1484364  by zebrasepta

glennk419 wrote:6ABC is showing SLIV 144 burning at Glenside Station. It appears to be more than a traction motor as there is active fire under the car. Pan is dropped and obviously all crew and passengers evacuated.

Edit: flames now visible through the dynamic brake grids. Not a good situation.

Currently no active firefighting going only, probably waiting for catenary to be de-energized.

https://6abc.com/septa-train-on-fire-at ... n/4090207/
Service resumed
Warminster : Service has resumed with delays of up to 30 minutes. Train #3448 will be the first train to depart Center City to Warminster.
Lansdale/Doylestown : Service has resumed with delays of up to 30 minutes. Train #6572 will be the first train to depart Center City to Doylestown.
 #1484375  by zebrasepta

glennk419 wrote:I'm guessing that 143 is going to need a new mate.
The Silverliner IVs are getting older some are 45 years old, so they'll need to be replaced soon although I won't miss them as much as the II's and the III's
Does SEPTA have any design plan for the VIs or are they going to be the same design concept as the Vs?
 #1484376  by BuddCar711

We don't know the extent of the damage. Anyhoo, could be something flew into the resister grid and caught fire. As far as the Silverliner VI, SEPTA may order them sooner than expected because SEPTA was hoping for at least another 7 years from the SL-IVs. I'm surprised the SL-IVs went this far without a proper GOH.
 #1484423  by glennk419

BuddCar711 wrote:
We don't know the extent of the damage. Anyhoo, could be something flew into the resister grid and caught fire. As far as the Silverliner VI, SEPTA may order them sooner than expected because SEPTA was hoping for at least another 7 years from the SL-IVs. I'm surprised the SL-IVs went this far without a proper GOH.
I watched the extended live chopper video and the fire definitely started under the car and then extended up through the center columns to the brake grid. At one point, there was smoke coming from the vents on the rear of the car which leads me to believe that the fire breached the interior panels.
 #1484462  by CNJGeep

BuddCar711 wrote:We don't know the extent of the damage.
The entire middle of the car looks like a Smore.
 #1484463  by R36 Combine Coach

If two Arrow IIs could be converted to cab cars, here's another waiting.
 #1486260  by glennk419

Has anyone seen any updates on the cause of this fire or whether 144 is a complete write off?
 #1486316  by MACTRAXX

zebrasepta wrote:
The Silverliner IVs are getting older some are 45 years old, so they'll need to be replaced soon although I won't miss them as much as the II's and the III's
Does SEPTA have any design plan for the VIs or are they going to be the same design concept as the Vs?
ZS and Everyone:
The Silverliner Four cars were built during the years 1974-75-76 making them 42-43-44 years old currently. The original order 1974-75; The add-on 1975-76.
The first cars were the single RDG cars 9018-9031 dating from the final months of 1973. The Silverliner Four introduction folder has a noticeably photoshopped
picture of #9018 with the Art Museum in the background taken from the vicinity of 30th Street Station. Most likely on display being a RDG car in PC territory.

#144 was a RDG car dating from 1976 that was likely delivered after Conrail Day (April 1st) since it never had the RDG diamond herald as the early 100 series
pairs had...The fire likely was a result of overheated components during the late August heat wave. More then likely SEPTA is "hiding" this car at Wayne Electric
or it was towed through to Overbrook...As for Silverliner Six cars: Does SEPTA have ANY funding in place to even offer RFPs let alone a contract? MACTRAXX
 #1486374  by Backshophoss

Unless SEPTA has the spare parts to rebuild that car,any usable parts will be pulled off the remains,and a write off. :wink:
 #1496217  by NorthPennLimited

The cars are visible on the back shop tracks at Wayne Electric. The south car has the windows covered in what appears to be shrink wrap. I guess they are waiting further disposition from the “insurance adjusters” before they are determined to be scrapped or if it’s economically feasible to rebuild them.

I guess the decision also lies in the timeline it takes to secure loans/ bonds to purchase the next generation of Silverliners
 #1496287  by ekt8750

NorthPennLimited wrote:The cars are visible on the back shop tracks at Wayne Electric. The south car has the windows covered in what appears to be shrink wrap. I guess they are waiting further disposition from the “insurance adjusters” before they are determined to be scrapped or if it’s economically feasible to rebuild them.

I guess the decision also lies in the timeline it takes to secure loans/ bonds to purchase the next generation of Silverliners
I'd have to believe they retire the burnt car and then take the remaining one and build another MOW train with it.
 #1496555  by MACTRAXX

Glenn, EKT and Everyone: What may happen is car #143 may end up paired up with another even
number car when one becomes available or if there is one sidelined at one of the shops.
If another even numbered car needs a mate we know at least one should now be available... :wink:
#144 will likely end up being written off upon deposition and scrapped.

There have been mismatched pairs of Silverliner Four cars over time - the idea is to have as many
cars in service as possible. In cases this is temporary while one half of a pair gets major repairs.
With the fleet's advanced age retirement has to be factored in...
MACTRAXX