Railroad Forums 

• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1483277  by electricron

gokeefe wrote:That is only true if this is the only thing he has done. A disclosure such as this one immediately begs the question whether or not he has taken actions in office in order to support the project.

As far as Florida law goes you're in the wrong section of the law library. Find the federal statutes and take a look at honest services fraud. If there's a criminal issue here it may very likely be a federal case.
Governor is a state office, not a federal office.
 #1483278  by gokeefe

Your are 100% correct. You can also ask a couple of recent former Illinois Governors how they ended up getting convicted on public corruption charges in a federal court house and serving time in federal prisons.

"Them's the rules ... "
 #1483286  by Bonevalleyrailfan

mtuandrew wrote:Remember that shovel-ready Orlando HSR project canceled by Rick Scott in the first months of his governorship?

Disgusting.
What about this is disgusting? Is it how Ms. Klas intentionally omitted many facts in her article in order to support her tenous argument that Scott profited directly from AAF by investing in a Fortress company totally unrelated to FECI or AAF? She conveniently left out facts that AAF is paying fair market rent and per passenger fees to the GOAA and CFX agencies for use of the new train station at the airport and the right of way along SR 528 respectively. It seems you are agreeing with Ms. Klas in her interpretation that the financing for AAF heavily involved taxpayers as she said? Did you actually read the stuff in her article and understand what she is doing? She is out to get Scott and does not care about the facts in her agenda against him. Ms. Klas' reporting is why so many call the media fake news anymore.

I think that Scott rejected the HSR funds not to profit from AAF but to satisfy his tea party base that elected him in 2010. That is where Ms. Klas gets it wrong by insinuating that Scott wanted to profit from rejecting the money.

I don't care for Scott and oppose most of his policies as a resident of Florida. But in the end, his decision to reject HSR funding from the feds in 2011 turned out to be a good decision. We would never have passenger rail between Tampa and Miami. Now we have a good chance of that happening with AAF.
 #1483311  by R&DB

Bonevalleyrailfan wrote:
We would never have passenger rail between Tampa and Miami.
Two words: Silver Star
Opinion: Gov. Scott saved taxpayers (National, not just Florida) money. Public officials can invest in any industry they wish as long as there is full disclosure, as there was in this case.
The article referenced HSR. AAF is not HSR as defined by FRA.
 #1483316  by Arlington

R&DB wrote:Two words: Silver Star
Agreed: My understanding of Silver Star Ridership is that they do a significant day-trip business intra-florida. A faster, more frequent Tampa-Miami service would probably do very well.
 #1483325  by Noel Weaver

There is no doubt in my mind that a decent intercity service within Florida would be a winner for all concerned. Yes!, Tri-Rail is a commuter service in every respect although a rather longer distance commuter operation. I have ridden Tri-Rail within the past month a couple of different times and the parking lots had a lot of cars parked in them. The old saying you run the trains and we'll ride them applies in Florida for sure. It might be a bit longer but down the road intercity passenger trains have a good future here in Florida.
Noel Weaver
 #1483336  by Bonevalleyrailfan

Having lived in the Tampa area for over 20 years, I am well aware of the Silver Star. In my haste to post my comment last night I should have clarified that I meant that we would finally have meaningful and reliable and convenient passenger rail service between Tampa and Miami when Brightline expands to Tampa. The Silver Star is none of these. It is typically late (often more than an hour) and runs only once a day in each direction. In other words, in my opinion, the Silver Star is not an option for 99.8% of the potential riders between Tampa and Miami. Brightline will provide hourly service and, if current operating trends continue, will be on time more than 95% of the time.
 #1483443  by Noel Weaver

Bonevalleyrailfan wrote:Having lived in the Tampa area for over 20 years, I am well aware of the Silver Star. In my haste to post my comment last night I should have clarified that I meant that we would finally have meaningful and reliable and convenient passenger rail service between Tampa and Miami when Brightline expands to Tampa. The Silver Star is none of these. It is typically late (often more than an hour) and runs only once a day in each direction. In other words, in my opinion, the Silver Star is not an option for 99.8% of the potential riders between Tampa and Miami. Brightline will provide hourly service and, if current operating trends continue, will be on time more than 95% of the time.
I agree with all of this, Tampa - Miami would be a very good market and would provide a very useful service.
Noel Weaver
 #1484172  by Jadebenn

Brightline's decided it's willing to sit down with the Treasure Coast and neogtiate about adding a stop to the train's route in the area:
https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/busines ... XKgW18sjI/

I can't help but see this as a move done solely to try and defuse the opposition to the project, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
 #1484214  by Matt Johnson

Bonevalleyrailfan wrote: I don't care for Scott and oppose most of his policies as a resident of Florida. But in the end, his decision to reject HSR funding from the feds in 2011 turned out to be a good decision. We would never have passenger rail between Tampa and Miami. Now we have a good chance of that happening with AAF.
If that happens (big if, but I'm surprised that Brightline has gotten this far), I will happily eat my words and admit that my extreme skepticism was wrong. I hope AAF/Brightline can make the Orlando extension happen at the very least.
 #1484236  by bostontrainguy

Report on CNBC this morning about Amazon's new second headquarters. Reporter was telecasting from near the downtown Miami station and commenting on the importance in the bid for transit services which are plentiful now. One of the other pluses was the new train service to Orlando.

Other pluses:
Three nearby International Airports
Closeness to new potential Central American markets
 #1484416  by Gilbert B Norman

The Sun-Sentinel article linked by Mr. Weaver, reports that the $1.6B are to be Private Activity Bonds. Again, we should note that, while PAB's do have a strong drawing point in that they are exempt from Federal Income Tax, and sometimes State as well, they are secured only by the cash flow, or EBITDA, that the activity for which they were issued can generate.

Now simply that the State agency with jurisdiction over such matters has approved their issue, does not mean they can be issued at a YTM (effective interest rate) that will enable AAF to be a going concern.

While I cannot be certain what kind of rating the various rating concerns will give these bonds, my guess it will be "junk" (Moody's C or less).

But of course, I've been mistaken about everything to date regarding AAF, and I remain totally astounded how AAF thus far has "slain the dragons". But lest we forget, Florida will have "a new hand at the throttle" in Tallahassee come January, and will he be friend or foe to AAF interests?