Railroad Forums 

• G scale brass track

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1484129  by BobLI

I saw an ad in a magazine for G scale brass track. I can see using it for battery operated trains but the ad said it was a great electrical conductor. I always thought nickel silver rail was better than brass especially in small scales but won’t brass oxidize a lot outdoors?
 #1484526  by Backshophoss

Brass is a bear to keep clean, HO scale and G scale, indoors or outdoors.
Invest in a good wire brush,go easy on the pressure,to lightly clean off the railhead.
 #1484860  by JamesRR

LGB made a version of nickel-silver track years ago - it was their brass track coated with nickel. The idea was less maintenance, but it suffered from flaking and they eventually discontinued it.

I have the LGB Track Cleaning loco and it's a marvelous machine. Polishes the rail back to pure brass.
 #1484873  by scottychaos

Probably 95% of outdoor G-scale garden railroads are built with brass track, both track power and battery power.
A much smaller amount of stainless steel.
Some aluminum, for battery power. (aluminum isnt good for track power)
virtually zero nickel silver in G scale.

Bachmann makes steel track that comes with their starter sets, no good for outdoors, it rusts.
most people use Bachmann steel track only for display shelves, or maybe the Christmas tree loop, but not much else.

Brass does have to be cleaned often, but it still works fine for track power.
brass is, by far, the standard in G scale.

Scot