Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1477266  by DutchRailnut

yes but not providing transportation between two massachusetts stations , the outfit running CT rail can not provide services out of state.
Amtrak is only carrier going to greenfield, like it or not.
 #1477273  by njtmnrrbuff

I'd much rather ride in an Amfleet than an MBB Coach anywhere on the SPG Line, especially if I am continuing to Holyoke or Greenfield. Personally if I could do it all over again, instead of having Ctrail, I would have just operated everything on the SPG Line with Amtrak equipment and Amtrak crew.
 #1477275  by nomis

MassDOT can chose whomever the operator would be, and they believe that Amtrak is their preferred operator to get this pilot service off the ground.
 #1477319  by Traingeek3629

DutchRailnut wrote:
Traingeek3629 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:No CTrail consist will run to greenfield .
Especially with the bathroom issues and how uncomfortable those cars are.
It has absolutely nothing to do with bathrooms, the contractor for CT rail will not operate in Massachusetts.
the greenfield extension will be run by Amtrak.
Um, CTrail already goes to Massachusetts. So, if they won't operate in Massachusetts, how are there already trains to Springfield?
 #1483107  by Safetee

The amazing driving force behind the choo choos is the desire to make sure MGM is a cash cow for Springfield. The fact that most buses from Greenfield to Springfield typically don't carry ten passengers makes one wonder about the hoped for crowds for this new service. Maybe Smithies really are compulsive gamblers.
 #1483111  by Kilo Echo

Safetee wrote:The fact that most buses from Greenfield to Springfield typically don't carry ten passengers makes one wonder about the hoped for crowds for this new service. Maybe Smithies really are compulsive gamblers.
Perhaps a few passengers would consider taking the train to points south of Springfield.