Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1474591  by Matt Langworthy

NS is changing operations in Gang Mills and Elmira. H06 still operates Sun-Thu but now has crew call at 6 AM. Most of the locals formerly based in Elmira are moving to Gang Mills, with just 3 locals left in Elmira. I will post more information as I get it.
 #1474705  by poppyl

That's a big schedule change for 6. Any intel as to why? Certainly will make chasing it more convenient with a daylight run in both directions on the Secondary.

Poppyl
 #1474707  by Matt Langworthy

According to my source, the project is called Operation Clean Sheet. The overall goal with the shuffle is more efficient operations. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that happens. There is a rumor H12 could become a night job, but no official verification yet.

Part of me is happy about easier access to H06. On the other hand, I will miss the epic sunset chases on the Corning Secondary.
 #1475112  by Matt Langworthy

NS local H12 is now starting in Gang Mills, and it is an evening/night job. Recent sightings of the eastbound train at Gibson were around 7:00 to 7:30 PM at the end of last week.
 #1475951  by Matt Langworthy

NS H06 departed Gang Mills around 11:16 AM this past Ssturday. I don't know if Saturday runs will be a permanent addition to the schedule. The power for H06 on both Thursday and Saturday as a GP38-2 (leading northbound) and an SD40-2 (leading southbound).

Also, H12 has departed Gang Mills after 10 PM on some nights, Local H17 seems to be an early morning run these days, too.
 #1479616  by MARKON

HO-6 coming up the Corning Secondary... For the last few years we camped at the KOA in Watkins Glen. HO would come by between 7 and 9PM and would be blowing the grade crossings early enough that the kids could sit on the hill and be acknowledged by the engineer with a blast. The best was the return past the grounds between 12 and 2 AM. Man - did this guy lean on the Horn - to my delight but not the other campers..Will miss the the blast as the schedule is now daylight.
 #1481266  by ebtmikado

On Sunday, July 29, at around 10:00 AM, we were surprised by a northbound NS freight in Himrod, NY, running to Geneva.
I was under the impression that freight trains on this line ran at night. It had about 50 cars of mixed freight.
We chased it from Himrod to Kashong.

Lee Carlson
 #1481391  by charlie6017

That's H06, it's been running in daylight hours for a good month or two now.

Charlie
 #1482005  by Matt Langworthy

Owing to a derailment near Pittsburgh, NS is operating two detour trains eastbound on the Tier today... including 26T. NS also had a grain extra (symbol W10) on the Tier this morning.
 #1482119  by Matt Langworthy

There will be a 20T detour on the Tier this afternoon.

Also, the NS OCS is headed to Buffalo and Binghamton. The train departed Altoona westbound this morning, so I am unsure if it will run on the Tier today or tomorrow.
 #1482339  by Matt Langworthy

The NS OCS is underway, having passed MP 409 in Lancaster about 10 minutes ago -as per a report from FB. This train should meet NS I3K somewhere between Arkport and Gang Mills.