Railroad Forums 

• Last passenger train to a particular city

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1469642  by Backshophoss

The Denver-Pueblo-La Junta train was a joint operation between the ATSF and DRGW on the Joint Line
Had Train #'s 201-200 Northbound to Denver,#'s 191-190 Southbound to La Junta.
 #1469643  by bill613A

Ft. Collins, CO-9/67 CB&Q Denver-Billings train.

Lubbock, TX 6/65 AT&SF connection Amarillo-Lubbock to the SF CHIEF

Monroe, LA-11/67 MP Little Rock-Alexandria section of the TEXAS EAGLE

Wheeling, W VA 7/61 B&O CHICAGO-WEST VIRGINIA NIGHT EXPRESS
 #1480453  by RenegadeMonster

Anyone know when South Deerfield, MA last saw passenger service? I remember my grandmother telling me that her father worked for the RR and as a child she used to ride the train a lot. But the station was long in ruins as long as I can remember and the track disconnected growing up.

I was born in 1986 and I would have to have guess the station had to have been closed at least 30 years before I was born.
 #1480933  by Ridgefielder

Anthony wrote:I forgot to mention, I'm looking specifically for the last inter-city passenger service. Commuter rail and excursion services don't count. I'm asking because I want to include a note about the last passenger service to every city on the following list from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... il_service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The last intercity service to Waterbury would have run in 1955. Two back-to-back hurricanes in August of that year caused flooding all across Connecticut. The New Haven elected to abandon the middle portion of the Midland Route (the former NY&NE mainline, Hartford-Boston via Manchester, Willimantic, Putnam, Blackstone, Franklin) rather than repair flood damage. That ended the remaining service from Waterbury to Boston via Hartford.
 #1480966  by The EGE

RenegadeMonster wrote:Anyone know when South Deerfield, MA last saw passenger service? I remember my grandmother telling me that her father worked for the RR and as a child she used to ride the train a lot. But the station was long in ruins as long as I can remember and the track disconnected growing up.

I was born in 1986 and I would have to have guess the station had to have been closed at least 30 years before I was born.
Local service on the line ended at the end of 1966; I would assume South Deerfield was a stop until then. (Unless you're talking about the NH&N - on which Route 5 now runs - which ended service in 1919.)
 #1481020  by John_Perkowski

The last train WB to Manhattan KS would have been the City of Kansas City on April 30, 1971.
The last eastbound would have been the same the morning of May 2, 1971.

That applies to all stations east of Denver on the Kansas Pacific, later the 1st-3d Subivisions of the UP Kansas Division.
 #1481152  by mmi16

Joke Insurance wrote:I have a few that I've wondered about:

Front Royal, Virginia

Winchester, Virginia

Ocean City, Maryland

Waldorf, Maryland

Southbury, Connecticut
Winchester, Virginia - August 13, 1949 when B&O ceased operation of Trains 55 & 54 between Brunswick, MD and Strasburg, VA on their Shenandoah Valley line.
 #1481353  by RenegadeMonster

The EGE wrote:
RenegadeMonster wrote:Anyone know when South Deerfield, MA last saw passenger service? I remember my grandmother telling me that her father worked for the RR and as a child she used to ride the train a lot. But the station was long in ruins as long as I can remember and the track disconnected growing up.

Local service on the line ended at the end of 1966; I would assume South Deerfield was a stop until then. (Unless you're talking about the NH&N - on which Route 5 now runs - which ended service in 1919.)

Thanks, I didn't even think about the NH&N. I was talking about the current Con River Line and Passenger Service. I assume the local service would have been through the Boston & Maine?

I don't really know much about the NH&N at all. Would it of have had passenger service as well? And is there any thread I could dig up for info / history of that line through deerfield and surrounding towns on that line here? Or would this be a could base to buy that Lost Railways of New England book?
 #1481440  by The EGE

The NH&N had a pretty limited run of passenger service - it was duplicated by the NH Springfield Line and the B&M Conn River Line for its whole length, and it missed Hartford, Springfield, and Northampton. Service ended on the northern section in 1919, and the southern section not long after.

Definitely get Lost Railways of New England and Rail Lines of Southern New England as well.
 #1481521  by Anthony

I'm still looking for the train names and rail carriers that provided the last intercity passenger rail - and the last year those services were provided - to the following cities:
- North Port – Sarasota – Bradenton, Florida
- Fort Myers, Florida
- Santa Rosa, California
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Gainesville, Florida
- Traverse City, Michigan
- Napa, California
- Owensboro, Kentucky
 #1481537  by The EGE

SP service on the Napa Valley Railroad ended in 1929.

NWP ended service between San Rafael and Willits (including Santa Rosa) sometime between November 8-11, 1958.