Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1479284  by Ridgefielder

Stephen B. Carey wrote:Why were the cars in Wallingford, CT? Seems a little off the path to bring them back to DC. Sorry if off topic,
Probably being handed off to CSX in Springfield for return to Baltimore via Selkirk and the River Line.
 #1479290  by nomis

They're going home via New Haven, down the corridor.
 #1479313  by GirlOnTheTrain

Ridgefielder wrote:Probably being handed off to CSX in Springfield for return to Baltimore via Selkirk and the River Line.
They were coming from Albany...
 #1479324  by DutchRailnut

yes and by switcher went to New Haven via springfield line . a electric was added and they are going to Baltimore (via NEC)
 #1479398  by Ridgefielder

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:Probably being handed off to CSX in Springfield for return to Baltimore via Selkirk and the River Line.
They were coming from Albany...
Ah, didn't catch that. Thought they were northbound... had been seeing them tacked onto Amtrak equipment over in the Lexington Avenue yard and made the (retrospectively stupid) assumption that they were going back in freight service.
 #1480862  by Traingeek3629

1 week ago, the turbocharger on 6696 went bad, and CDOT decided to send it for rebuild early. That marks the end of the McGinnis era for the GP40s, a truly sad moment for railfans all over the northeast. Now the only McGinnis locos still in-service are the Metro-North P32s. It's a shame to see those engines go, but I guess the new CTrail branding has to get a new look :(
 #1480891  by NH2060

Honestly the McGinnis livery had its days numbered. The red/black/white color combination OTOH is very much alive and well and will be around probably until kingdom come. How they configure it is of course another story, but with commuter rail ops in CT expanding it makes sense to have a formal branding and livery. I’d prefer something a bit different, but I think we’ll all come to accept the new CTRail branding in time.
 #1480899  by njtmnrrbuff

If you want to see equipment with the old McGinness livery, I suggest you go to Metro North turf and watch their four painted dual modes while they have them. Even better, go to rail museum in Connecticut. Sooner rather than later, the four Genesis units painted in the NH colors will be repainted. The Coke Zero paint scheme doesn’t look that bad.
 #1480919  by Traingeek3629

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:If you want to see equipment with the old McGinness livery, I suggest you go to Metro North turf and watch their four painted dual modes while they have them. Even better, go to rail museum in Connecticut. Sooner rather than later, the four Genesis units painted in the NH colors will be repainted. The Coke Zero paint scheme doesn’t look that bad.
I saw 229 just the other day in Poughkeepsie
BandA wrote:Should keep at least one painted as a Heritage unit. But it might be confusing to some who are New.
I doubt it would be confusing; As long as the schedule and the station signs say the train pulling in is scheduled, and the railcars behind the engine are CTrail, nobody will be confused. I do wish they had kept one GP-40 has a heritage unit; They really wore the McGinnis livery best. And now SLE is stuck with the disgusting P40s!